- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jleasa

jleasa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

I am currently working with ArcMap. I have a contour layer (polyline) and I'm trying to add building (polyline or polygon) and vegetation (polyline or polygon) heights to the elevations on the contour layer in order complete a viewshed analysis for a river corridor. I can't seem to figure out how to add these layers together to give me a more accurate landscape model. Everything I have read suggests that I need ArcScene or 3D Analyst. Is there any other way to do what I need to without forking over the thousands of dollars for either of these programs??
Jay

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Everything I have read suggests that I need ArcScene or 3D Analyst. Is there any other way to do what I need to without forking over the thousands of dollars for either of these programs??
Jay

FYI: ArcScene is included with 3D Analyst, no separate purchase required.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

hello jleasa,

you should be able to do this with the spatial analyst extension. of course this is dependent on you having it, which it sounds like you may not. you can check by going to your Tools drop down menu and clicking on "extensions...". if you can put a check mark next to Spatial Analyst than you are good to go! You'll just need to add the Spatial Analyst Tool Bar and then select then select Spatial Analyst-->Surface Analysis-->Viewshed

One last thing, you'll need to turn your contour data layer into a dem.

Good luck!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

jleasa

jleasa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

I do have Spatial Analyst, but I don't know how to turn my contour data into a DEM. Is that something you can tell me about or is it more complicated than that.
Jay

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

there are two different ways that you can do this in arcgis (that i'm aware of). one is to use the Topo to Raster tool in your Arc Toolbox. however, i'm pretty sure that you'll need the 3d analyst extension to use this tool (it's in the 3d analyst toolbox). but, hey never hurts to try, right? if you can't use that tool than there is always the old school way. Use TOPOGRID in command-line Arc/Info with the CONTOUR sub-command to generate your DEM from your contour data. you will need an arc/info license to do this. the arc helpfile explains how to do this relatively clearly. if neither option is feasible to you due to license issues i would search for dem data of your area (in fact, i would probably do this first!). if you're mapping a place in the u.s. than you can get free 10meter and 30 meter dem data online(only in the lower 48 states). i found some dem data sites for british columbia, but i'm not sure about other parts of canada.

i hope this helps!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I have a contour layer (polyline) and I'm trying to add building (polyline or polygon) and vegetation (polyline or polygon) heights to the elevations on the contour layer in order complete a viewshed analysis for a river corridor. I can't seem to figure out how to add these layers together to give me a more accurate landscape model.

have you considered a spatial join to transfer the Z data?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->