9 replies to this topic

DefenS

DefenS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

I have been searching this forum trying to soak up everything possible to improve my cartographic skill. I have encountered the 5 principles of cartographic design posted by EcoGraphic and various bits of information.

Those 5 principles mention that the rules of cartography are quite different than the principles. I would like to gain a little more knowledge on the rules. I have a GIS/Cartography certificate from CSU East Bay in CA, but my studies include all of 2 cartography courses of which the teacher did a lot of talking and required no text or reference material.

My question to you is what is your favorite, or rather, in your opinion what is the best cartography text book. I have found various texts online but I would like to know which is the best and which is it that has helped you the most.

Thanks!
Brian

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have been searching this forum trying to soak up everything possible to improve my cartographic skill. I have encountered the 5 principles of cartographic design posted by EcoGraphic and various bits of information.

Those 5 principles mention that the rules of cartography are quite different than the principles. I would like to gain a little more knowledge on the rules. I have a GIS/Cartography certificate from CSU East Bay in CA, but my studies include all of 2 cartography courses of which the teacher did a lot of talking and required no text or reference material.

My question to you is what is your favorite, or rather, in your opinion what is the best cartography text book. I have found various texts online but I would like to know which is the best and which is it that has helped you the most.

For an overall view of Cartography, I found this one to be quite interesting:
Making Maps by John Krygier and Dennis Wood
How To Lie With Maps by Mark Monmonier

I've heard good things about Designing Better Maps by Cynthia Brewer. I don't own a copy but did read through one and thought it was a pretty good one too.

I do have to say though that practical experience, peer review and discussion counts for a lot too. Having a good textbook to fall back on is always a good thing of course, but it's the combination of all those factors that will really get you a better insight into cartography. I've personally learned a lot through Cartotalk and by attending conferences and talking to other cartographers.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I recommend buying and reading Elements of Cartography.
There are sections devoted to map design, including color, labeling, composition, etc. IMHO, this is a must have book for any serious cartographer.
-Chris

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I agree wholeheartedly with Chris that "Elements of Cartography" is a must have. I think its current edition is #6 from 1995 and as a result is dated in anything referring to technology, but the core information is still valid. Here you will find the "rules" that you are looking for. But implementing those in practice will be the most valuable lesson. Feel free to make use of CartoTalk for getting feedback, but be prepared for positive criticism. We don't bite (too often) but we will nibble around the edges.
Rick Dey

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Additional reading... from the Netherlands

http://vig.pearsoned...0888907,00.html
Chart

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I've heard good things about Designing Better Maps by Cynthia Brewer. I don't own a copy but did read through one and thought it was a pretty good one too.

I do own a copy, and concur that it's a great resource. I'd also suggest another book by Cynthia Brewer called Designed Maps. I don't own a copy of this, but was flipping through this at the ESRI Conference today. It looks like a really nice book. Each section focuses on a different type of map, and then shows particular designs that focus on certain information (i.e., a city map that focuses on streets, then focuses on parks, etc). It's the same data, but with a different focus.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

DefenS

DefenS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

thanks for the response.

i own designed maps by cythia brewer and i am looking forward to getting a copy of designing better maps.

i will also look into the other resources mentioned.

in the mean time i have picked up a few more folding maps from various publishers to stare at....

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Has anyone read "Thematic Cartography and Geovisualization, 3/E" (I like how the publisher states that it was published in 2009)?

Terry A. Slocum, University of Kansas
Robert B McMaster, University of Minnesota
Fritz C Kessler, Frostburg State University
Hugh H Howard, American River College

Publisher: Prentice Hall
Copyright: 2009
Format: Cloth; 576 pp

ISBN-10: 0132298341
ISBN-13: 9780132298346

http://vig.pearsoned...2298341,00.html

The book is not available in the US or in Canada - that counts me out.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Has anyone read "Thematic Cartography and Geovisualization, 3/E" (I like how the publisher states that it was published in 2009)?

The book is not available in the US or in Canada - that counts me out.

It is on Amazon if you're interested. I'd like to have a review too!

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I have a colleague with a copy on his desk. I'll try to get his input on it.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->