• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lucie Lu

Lucie Lu

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

This is cheers to you all "carto-talkers" from another "newbie" here on site as well as in the field of cartography. Presently located in Canada - Nova Scotia - Bay of Fundy where I've moved from Europe - Czech. Finding my bearings, getting ready for another move, eventhough this one just within the Annapolis Valley, which to me must be one of the most stunning parts of the world at this time of year. I'm starting a cartography - digital mapping program at COGS, Centre of Geographic Sciences this year in September. I have a background in visual arts and love for geography and I'm really excited as I've only heard good things about this school, the latest technology and environmental edge, it was the right trigger for me and yea, I'm up for the challenge :-) I am also aware that the program is quite intense and at the start point can be a bit overwhelming so any advice on what to take into the account, what to focus on before "diving in"...I would appreciate.

How long has this site been around? It's amazing, I just stumbled across it yesterday and now taking some more time to explore, it sure looks like a great resource and a place to connect with others in the field and get constructive feedback.

Good job, everybody,

I look forward to getting to know you and sharing inspirations/aspirations :-)

Lucie

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Lucie, and welcome to Cartotalk!

This site has been around since the spring/summer of 2004, but it really took off in 2005.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

This is cheers to you all "carto-talkers" from another "newbie" here on site as well as in the field of cartography. Presently located in Canada - Nova Scotia - Bay of Fundy where I've moved from Europe - Czech. Finding my bearings, getting ready for another move, eventhough this one just within the Annapolis Valley, which to me must be one of the most stunning parts of the world at this time of year. I'm starting a cartography - digital mapping program at COGS, Centre of Geographic Sciences this year in September. I have a background in visual arts and love for geography and I'm really excited as I've only heard good things about this school, the latest technology and environmental edge, it was the right trigger for me and yea, I'm up for the challenge :-) I am also aware that the program is quite intense and at the start point can be a bit overwhelming so any advice on what to take into the account, what to focus on before "diving in"...I would appreciate.

How long has this site been around? It's amazing, I just stumbled across it yesterday and now taking some more time to explore, it sure looks like a great resource and a place to connect with others in the field and get constructive feedback.

Good job, everybody,

I look forward to getting to know you and sharing inspirations/aspirations :-)

Lucie

Hi Lucie;

Hi Lucie you know nothing of the program believe me when I tell you that Cartography at COGS is alot more intensive than the description.

- Be careful of Dave, he speaks in code tongue as like to put it to the point of ahh what the heck is he saying? ;) Anyways trust me he knows what he is talking about when he will be teaching you the full suite of ArcGIS. Just don't get too frustrated! :P

- Piers can be hard on you but for good reasons, he's what I would call the CAD man of the program. No doubt Piers will be teaching AutoCad & Microsotation. I found that he was clear & pricise on the procdures, helpful, & yet picky but for a very good reason on when it came to the quality of the work that was required. For example I failed my topographic project, & looking upon my disgusting map of Sherbrooke I fully understand why did what he had to do. Thank god I failed that map because had I graduated what would have I learned?

- It sounds like that you'll end up in the graphics end of the industry so Ada is the teacher on that has the experience. She will be teaching you subjects such as text placement, scale, colour, basic project management, & anything to do with thematic work.

The only negative comment I do have of COGS is the fact that cost amount for a computer at COGS was too pricy than what it should have been.

BTW in advance if your thinking about freelancing let me tell you that the software you use at COGS is a little different than what you will use, for example instead of ArcMap many of us use Manifold. And instead of using CorelDraw try learning Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop. ;)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Lucie Lu

Lucie Lu

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

thanks for the welcome, Hans!

Hasdrubal, when did you graduate from COGS? "A lot more intensive"...yes, that's what I've been reading as an important message since I found out I got in ;) but having gone through the educational system in my old country, where even high schools back then were considered being at a university level in comparison to other countries I have no fear and like to work hard B) Thanks for your suggestions and remarks, I briefly met Piers at the introduction, I am sure all four of the instructors are highly knowledgeble and resourceful people...I totally agree with what you said about failing too...I remember working on a bust back in the art school, after spending so much time on it my teacher came to see, took a wire and scraped off the whole face...was I ever filled with rage and despair back then...but in the end, it worked out much better of course, indeed a better scenario rather then feeling too confident too early. The small size of classes as well as the whole campus at COGS seems to be the right setup and for the price of the computers, yes, I hear you on that one too, but on the other hand it does come loaded with tools needed for which, if you were to acquire separetelly, the price would be much steeper. Where did life take you after COGS then? :)

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

thanks for the welcome, Hans!

Hasdrubal, when did you graduate from COGS? " .....Where did life take you after COGS then? :)

I graduated in 2004 after I finally passed the Major Topographic Project. As for my life lets just say things went from good to bad & then bad to worse as no employer was interested in my resume for what reason I don't know why, my student loan payments for the most part only payed the interest, & close to the age of 30 I'm still living with my parents. Heck I can't even afford a car. :angry:

But truthfully after trying, failing, & as my skills got out of date I made a decision thanks to this board to give freelancing a try, (fortunately I have worked on three projects so far). Unlike most others my decision to freelance was simply a last gasp to get the experience I want in GIS/Cartography because the type of job given to me by my employers was at the lowest end of the retail, & if anything rather insulting in my opinion to be nothing but a parcel pickup boy. I haven't ruled out returning per say either to COGS or getting my degree in geography however for the time being my goals are either to go full time freelancing if I'm sucessful enough or to maintain my business as a part time venture & at the same time gain enough experience to get a real job as a GIS technician.

but on the other hand it does come loaded with tools

Keep in mind they only give you the tools necessary to do the job, & if it only takes 1GB than that's all your your going to get. Ultimately you can buy a bette computer then what they will give you but unfortunately they have a policy that forces you to use their computers.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Lucie Lu

Lucie Lu

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

I'm sorry to hear that, we all strugle time to time, best of luck with freelancing, if the timing's right, that's the way to go :-) Btw. if no jobs up here in the Valley, have you considered re-locating to gain more experience?

Thanks for all your thoughts, I know a couple of people who took either carto or the advanced GIS course at COGS and like I said before, have only heard the best things. It' is like that with anything else, you're presented with a wealth of knowledge but it's up to you where you take it, what really intrigues me about cartography is that it is such a broad field, in flux, changing fast and the technology, when embaced well, can give you much artistic/creative freedom. Nothing worthy ever comes easy ;)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Lucie.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I'm sorry to hear that, we all strugle time to time, best of luck with freelancing, if the timing's right, that's the way to go :-) Btw. if no jobs up here in the Valley, have you considered re-locating to gain more experience?

Yes I have but financially it's impossible due to the fact that economically I'm trapped thanks to high interest student loans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->