• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I just took the plunge and submitted my letter of resignation, giving my three months notice! Three months that I will continue on parental leave, so it basically means I won't go back to work. It feels pretty big - it has been an awesome 8½ years which has really give me a lot - both professionally and personally (after all, I met my wife through work...).

My next step will be to establish my own business within cartography and GIS, starting in November. I am a bit nervous, but I already have some really good leads for projects to start me off. I am prepared for a start-up phase which would also involve some other small jobs to fill up my time - and some training to pick up new skills.

I will do a proper announcement once everything is set up (including a website), then I will beg for you to consider sub-contracting me if you have some additional work to farm out - I think I also have a favors to cash in from a few members of the board... :)
(I probably owe more favors though)

I am really looking at establishing some loose informal network of friends and partners, so that I can off-load and distribute work as well, once things will start to heat up.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I just took the plunge

Big move Frax!

Best of luck harnessing the wonderful world of Freelance.
It can be one heck of a rollercoaster!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

Oh I forgot - I will also see if I can realize my old idea of an activity book with maps for kids. I need to write-up a proposal to send out to publishers.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Wow Frax,

Thats awesome that you are starting your own business. I hope one day I can muster up enough to do the same.

Anyways, good luck, and judging by your work, I'm sure you will have no problem finding jobs!
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Sometimes you have to take the plunge to get some where, good luck Frax. Perhaps some of us cartographers can get together someday & form a mega corporation. ;)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hugo,

All the best of luck. It's a big step, especially if you have a family, but given the quality of your work, I think you'll do just fine.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Good luck Frax.

As a freelancer in cartography and geo-spatial technologies for the last 13 years the going is sometimes rough but in retrospective it was the best decision I ever made. Somewhat like you I had 10 years experience in the business before going on my own.

IMO there is two ways to go about starting on your own. You have to decide off the bat (something I did not do) if you want to operate as a business or as a self employed individual. The reason I say this is because if you opt to become a business you must learn to be a good business man. Just being good at something won't make your business succeed. Although you also need to learn some business skills as a freelancer you remain closer to your trade.

Another mistake a lot new starters make is looking for work 'as a subcontractor' from other companies (individuals) in the SAME field as yourself. It may take a little longer but go directly to other types of businesses that need your skills. You will build your own reputation. Once your reputation established you can if you wish work in 'partnership' with others in your field. Don't under rate yourself.

Best of luck.
Chart

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Awesome Frax! Best of luck with the entrepreneurial spirit and adventure, and with parenthood! Please keep in contact as to which projects you are looking for and rate etc. so I know how to involve you.
I just completed maps for a kids book - I ran the maps past my 2 kids and they loved them, so the drafts were sent to the client. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing your site! (a word to the wise - I am having to change my name from GeoIntel to *something else* due to a few letters from Intel Corp. trademark and patent attorney :angry: )

-Chris
Cupcake Cartography

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • United States

Congratulations and best wishes! I'm sure you will do well. :D

And you know where to come for critiques and ideas and advice. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Awesome! Congratulations for making the move Hugo! Best of luck and I hope you'll share your experiences with all of us here.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

Thanks for all the notes and wise word - especially CHART!
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

Good luck!
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Congratulations Frax!

It takes guts to do it. Keep us informed! :)

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

I just took the plunge and submitted my letter of resignation, giving my three months notice! Three months that I will continue on parental leave, so it basically means I won't go back to work. It feels pretty big - it has been an awesome 8½ years which has really give me a lot - both professionally and personally (after all, I met my wife through work...).

My next step will be to establish my own business within cartography and GIS, starting in November. I am a bit nervous, but I already have some really good leads for projects to start me off. I am prepared for a start-up phase which would also involve some other small jobs to fill up my time - and some training to pick up new skills.

I will do a proper announcement once everything is set up (including a website), then I will beg for you to consider sub-contracting me if you have some additional work to farm out - I think I also have a favors to cash in from a few members of the board... :)
(I probably owe more favors though)

I am really looking at establishing some loose informal network of friends and partners, so that I can off-load and distribute work as well, once things will start to heat up.

Hi Hugo,

I wish you the best with your decision to strike out on your own. Welcome to the club!

It may seem a little risky at first, but you'll get used to it in time. Of course, starting a business with a newly arrived baby (congrats, BTW!) adds a little spice to the mix (i.e. you won't be getting a lot of sleep). Your colleagues at CartoTalk speak highly of your work, and I'm guessing that with a few contacts in your pocket, you'll be well on your way. Don't forget to keep your "saw sharp" by keeping up with training & technology - the best investment is to invest in yourself. Good luck.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

2½ months into it now, and I don't regret a thing! It still sucks up time and energy with everything related to thing starting up - I guess one needs a year or so before one gets into more of a regular grind.

But I have some projects (and money) rolling in, and the outlook looks pretty reasonable. My first priority is to set up a bit of a buffer to make sure that I can survive for any temporary dips in work.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->