woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

Attached File  Jp_World.gif   142.73KB   201 downloads

This is really a substitute for the azimuthial equidistant map I posted earlier. As I looked at that one I became concerned that geographically unsophisticated readers might find it difficult to interpret because it presents the continents in unfamilar shapes and configurations. So I've re-done it as a Robinson's projection. In the process I've added representative long-distance sea trade routes, which are important in understanding Japan's place in the world. The lengths of these routes and the steaming times are also needed but I don't think I can get them on here without crowding, so I'll put them in a separate table.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

I wonder if the map's readers will "get" the distorted distance "circles".
Have you thought about trying an azimuthal equidistant projection centered on Japan or Tokyo?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

Well, as I tried to indicate, it was concern over reader response to the distortion of continential shape and orientation in the azimuthial equidistant that I had tried earlier (see post in previous thread) that motivated this attempt.

I now have a certain amount of feeback about the map. I showed it last night to someone who's pretty naive geographically and he seemed to interpret the map correctly without prompting, including recognizing that the distorted rings represented range arcs. I did have to explain what a nautical mile is, but that shouldn't be a problem in the report.

I've thought about re-plotting it as a Mercator -- everyone's "favorite" projection -- for greater familiarity, but I think the distortion in areas undercuts the message too much.
Will O'Neil

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Oops, sorry, I missed that.

I guess it's a choice between distorting the circles or distorting the features. Sounds like you are considering which works best for the audience.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

I'm trying a somewhat different version here, based on Tom Patterson's wonderful Natural Earth II data:
Attached File  Jp_World_NE_sm.jpg   241.49KB   106 downloads

It seems to me that in addition to looking better this provides additonal valuable information, and without significant loss in legibility. But I'd be interested in the views of others.

I multiplied the land to intensify it but not the sea. I used the version with bottom contours because it's information relevant to my purposes.
Will O'Neil

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hey Will, great improvement over the initial map on the original post. A few comments:

• The color used for the shipping lanes is a bit washed out, maybe try a richer version of red or magenta.
  • The nautical mile indicators could be toned down a bit. I am assuming these are included as ancillary information.
  • Why do you show the Straits of Malacca and the Sundra Strait, but no others?
  • I think you could get away with including the distance and times of the shipping routes without adding them into a separate table.
  • The use of Tom's natural earth data looks nice, but I am not sure it adds any useful information, in fact it may detract from the message that you are trying to convey. Maybe staying with solid values with country borders is an option you should consider, thereby enhancing the information you intend to showcase (instead of topographic relief).

Thanks for the post,
Michael.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Will,

Just got pointed to your post after posting a very similar map here http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=3415 and thought I'd add my thoughts though prob too late to help you now.

Nice work—I'm going to have to disagree with Michael personally I think the relief is fine, but that's just taste. I think you'd be better to remove country names and borders and just label the ports you are featuring (poss with county name in brackets next to the port. I'd also think of removing the lat/longs. I had them on my original map and found it too busy with the distance lines over the top so removed them.

Anyway that's just my 2c think the Robinson is def much more suited to a general audience than the azimuthial equidistant—I have trouble deciphering that projection and work with maps every day!

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

Just got pointed to your post after posting a very similar map here http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=3415 and thought I'd add my thoughts though prob too late to help you now.

Sam,

Thanks very much. I had noticed your very handsome and striking map.

Not at all too late. It's a map for a report that isn't due even in draft form until the end of November! I expect to have a series and will eventually want to try to harmonize them, but I'm not there yet. In the meantime any and all comments are welcome and useful.
Will O'Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->