map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

I am planning a design of a large map of my province. I am hoping it to be about 8feet tall by 4 feet wide.
I will be using a colour laser printer that will print 11x17.
I am thinking about making the map using each 11x17 sheet as a tile to make a mosiac of the entire map.
I would like the tiles to be as seamless as possible but also want to be able to update and replace tiles as needed.
This is a personal project so budget does come into effect.
I was thinking about a plywood backing and joining each page with some kind of glue like on post-it tabs and then having a plexiglass cover that can screw the map secure.
I would love to hear any comments or see any similiar maps that users have done.
thanks
Dan

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would recommend making the map in one piece, then rasterize and tile it. This is the easiest way of guaranteeing that the tiles are seamless.

It does kind of depend on what you already have in terms of software. When I want to follow this procedure, I produce the map in Illustrator, rasterize it in Photoshop and tile it up in Global Mapper (but that's because I generally want some sort of georeference, since you're only going to print it, tiling in Photoshop would do just as well).

Another thing to consider, again depending on your budget, is having larger areas printed in one go. This will cost you some money, but will save you a lot of time and effort. And don't forget: the fewer tiles you have, the less risk there is of them not aligning properly.

Hope this helps, sounds like it's an interesting project.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I would second Hans' suggestion to print in larger tiles if possible. You are going to discover when trying to put this together, how terribly unstable a material paper can be. Maybe even try to do a sample of some image first to see how it works before getting too deep in the map. Some of Tom Patterson's images at www.shadedrelief.com would be a good trial.
Rick Dey

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Another suggestion (if you didn't have Global Mapper) is to save a high resolution file at a fractional size as a PDF and have Acrobat tile it when you send it to your 11x17 printer. You'll have the white collar to trim due to the printable-area - but you'll end-up with that either way, unless your printer can do a full bleed.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->