• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Gamerprinter

Gamerprinter

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello, this Michael Tumey, also known as Gamerprinter on the forums I visit.

I run a small rural city graphics shop doing all things digital. I've become a resource for more than just my hometown. I create large format prints, websites and photo restoration for clients throughout the world. I know that sounds odd. 2me Studio, Inc - in business since 1994. I've done reprographics work for local governments, every mine/quarry/manufacturer in my area, forensic display - sometimes for both sides of the same trial, and digital restore old photos for museums, historic societies and for private collections. I do everything, in fact, too much. Though I'm not a jack-of-all-trades, to me graphics is graphics, its all the same.

Though I am not a true cartographer/GIS Analyst, I am a published fantasy cartographer - a side career I started only a year and a half ago. I'm one of those geeks who still play Dungeons & Dragons. On a whim I purchased ProFantasy Campaign Cartographer 3, which is a CAD based mapping application especially designed for creating fantasy worlds, to try to custom design maps for my gaming group. Because of have access to a large format inkjet printer, I printed a 24" x 36" fantasy map, when epiphany struck! This looks like a business opportunity.

I created Gamer-Printshop.com website, contacted ProFantasy. They both endorsed my service and allowed me to post an announcement in their Yahoo Group. I also posted to a number other gaming forums. Within weeks I had contracts from small RPG publishers asking me to be exclusive printer and distributor of their map products. I have printed and shipped maps for publishers and individuals from North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. I'm not rich, but its a great alternate income source and a fun way to take a hobby into an enterprise.

I have been commissioned by several small Roleplaying Game Publishers for maps and mostly individual game masters for private games. I have won several mapping contests, most at http://forums.cartographersguild.com - I probably create 20 to 30 maps a year.

I have responded to a post in the Software/Tutorials Forum with a tutorial with my favorite graphics application Xara Xtreme 4.0, check it out if you like. I know, I'm not your expected type of cartographer, but I hope I can contribute here and gain knowledge your real-world mapping skills and taking it to my fantasy cartographic projects!

To get an idea of some of the maps I've created, here's a link to my portfolio (needs updating too):
http://www.gamer-pri.../portfolio.html

GP

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Michael, and welcome to Cartotalk.

Looks like you got yourself a very nice niche to work in. I had a look at your portfolio and it looks very nice.

Also, thanks for your informative posts on Xara and your tutorial. That's much appreciated.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->