6 replies to this topic

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • United States

I'm a non-cartographer who's doing a report on Japanese strategic options and trying to provide helpful maps. (You might be surprised at how many people write about such matters and include no maps, or none that show what needs to be shown.)

This is my first effort, attempting to show Japan's strategic neighborhood. It's a vertical perspective with a height of eye of 539 nmi above Tokyo, putting the horizon 2,000 nmi away. I need something that can work both on screen and in ink-jet printout.

I projected each layer in VersaMap 3, a very elementary but cheap and easy to use plotting program, working from their version of World Data Base 2. I transferred them, layer by layer to Photoshop, where I did the fills, labels, and shading.

Any suggestions for improvement will be gratefully received.

Will O'Neil

P.S. I expectAttached File  Jp_Strat_View_to_2knmi.jpg   277.93KB   147 downloads to accompany this with a worldwide azimuthial equidistant map centered on Tokyo.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Hi Will,
I really like your globe - the water and the lat/long lines work for me.

I think you could change the country type size match (unless China's really really really the most important country on the map) and not use red and green together (unless you're making a Christmas map).

I would also consider colouring the countries differently - or at least using a better boundary symbol.

Michael H

Michael H

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

You may want to move your light source, Japan looks washed out with the light concentrated on the center of the map.

Mike

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • United States

Attached File  Jp_Grnd_Strat_View.gif   124.75KB   96 downloadsHere's the sequel -- an azimuthial equidistant centered on Tokyo. I've cropped it to fit on one report page (in landscape orientation). I lose Antarctica and a little of South America (and symmetry) but I get better readability of the key portions with the cropping.

The functional requirements of these maps are pretty restrictive and I'm wrestling to meet them. They need to be attractive so that readers won't feel inclined to pass them by as too ugly or difficult. They need to quickly and forcefully convey the key geographic relationships -- in the first one the relative sizes and positions of the nations and islands in the region around Japan and in this one the relative distances of places of key strategic and commercial interest. And they need to do so whether seen on screen, printed on an inkjet, or printed on a monochrome laser.
Will O'Neil

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Attached File  Jp_Grnd_Strat_View.gif   124.75KB   96 downloadsHere's the sequel -- an azimuthial equidistant centered on Tokyo. I've cropped it to fit on one report page (in landscape orientation). I lose Antarctica and a little of South America (and symmetry) but I get better readability of the key portions with the cropping.

The functional requirements of these maps are pretty restrictive and I'm wrestling to meet them. They need to be attractive so that readers won't feel inclined to pass them by as too ugly or difficult. They need to quickly and forcefully convey the key geographic relationships -- in the first one the relative sizes and positions of the nations and islands in the region around Japan and in this one the relative distances of places of key strategic and commercial interest. And they need to do so whether seen on screen, printed on an inkjet, or printed on a monochrome laser.

Good effort. My thoughts on the 1st map is that whatever strategy you are trying to convey that makes use of lat/long lines, keep them in focus uniformly across the globe. The white focus around Japan erases the lines, losing the functionality of the lines IMHO.

2nd map. Wow - Japan centric world view, ok. How's about color coding nations or continents. Would certainly help to give Japan unique color. Commas in thousand (1,000). I assume this has a relationship with ship transport/shipping re: nautical miles. You could add the major ports of Japan and the most common shipping routes and destination ports around the globe for context.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing!

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • United States

Here, for the record, is a much-revised version.
Attached File  Jp_neighborhood.jpg   268.04KB   84 downloads
Vertical perspective projection, from altitude of 675 nmi, putting the horizon 200o nmi (ground range) from Tokyo. I use this to emphasize the dominance of China and (to a lesser extent) Russia in Japan's strategic perspective.

I used Tom Robinson's Natural Earth II for the base. Manifold 8.0 did the projection and buffers for the ranges. I had to use Versamap for the graticule because Manfold's graticule for this projection is garbage -- just a jumble of lines. Adjustment and compositing in Photoshop CS3, as well as text.

Some have suggested that the graticule is superflous, but I find that it does a lot to make this into a sphere rather than just a flat circular map.
Will O'Neil

E Nile

E Nile

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

I like the revision, the graticule helps.
Have you considered another color for Japan? The brown/orange looks like high elevation. Perhaps red & move the annotation to the SE in the ocean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->