Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Statistics
  • Indonesia

Dear All

Please give me suggestions for my Bali Maps. This map include of topography, river, street, point of interest etc. What kind of fonts that appropriate for street name?? This source map from 1 :25.000 map, size 72 x 94 inch. (1 :60.000). Map data preparation using some software like ArcMap and Illustrator. [http://hsadik.multip...tem/41/Bali_Map] (1.348 Mb)

Thanks.
Hermawan

Edited by Hans van der Maarel, 23 July 2008 - 02:20 PM.
added link

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Hermawan,

Overview looks nice, but can you perhaps post some detail images here? I can't get the map to display full size :(
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

I can't seem to view a larger version of the map on the site you provided. Am I missing something?

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Statistics
  • Indonesia

I can't seem to view a larger version of the map on the site you provided. Am I missing something?

Hello Hans and Biogeoman,

I am so sorry, :) here the link to file :
[http://images.hsadik...?nmid=107057410]

The original file is in Ilustrator (70 MB) and pdf (30 MB).

I have a question, in Arcmap, how to move a points, so they were not overlapping with a street if I export them an AI format.

Thanks allot.

Hermawan

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Thanks for updating the link Hermawan. The map has a good overall look to it, I would suggest the following:

• The gradation of colors used to represent elevation should blend between colors a bit more. The abrupt change in colors is a bit distracting and artificial.
  • Did you use automated labeling in ArcMap? Many of your place names overlap roads, other text, and some even overlap the point or symbol they are representing. I would go through all of the labels and reposition them, you have plenty of room.
  • I am not sure that bathymetry beyond the coastline is necessary, but that is just an opinion, it looks fine.
  • The roads represented in your legend do not match what is shown on the map.
  • I think you mean "Arterial Street" not Arteri Street.
  • Airport, Gallery, Immigration, District, Subdistrict, are misspelled in the legend and I am not sure what is going on below the "Parking" and above the "National Park" entry on the legend.
  • I think the symbols you are using in the legend and on the map are too small to read and differentiate. For example, I can't tell the difference between Market, Library, and Hotel...which may be important to a tourist or visitor to the island.
  • What does the different symbology for the towns/villages represent? Do some have a higher population? Look carefully and some of the circles are separated...meaning the internal coloring is separated from the black outline.
  • Maybe label some natural features such as rivers, mountains, bays, etc.
  • Including the residential and unpaved streets is a good idea, but I can barely see them, maybe increase the contrast a bit.
  • Tower, Temple, Landmark, and Monument are missing symbols in the legend.

Am I correct in assuming that you automated the placement of the annotation on this map? I would suggest spending a significant amount of time in Illustrator repositioning your annotation, making certain the placement of your point features on the map are accurate, fix all errors in your legend, make certain that your symbols are legible and that they match what is represented on the map, and label some major natural features...since I am sure Bali has a wealth of natural beauty.

Good start, but the map needs a significant amount of work. Could you re-post when you have worked on it a bit more?

Thanks Hermawan.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

In addition to BioGeoMan's comments I have a few minor things:
1. Maybe center the Island in the map more - right now it's right against the top edge of the neatline
2. Maybe move the scale bar so it's not overlapping the K10 and L10 labels - even though it's still very legible it's slightly distracting
3. The differences between the color steps in the elevation is pretty strong. Maybe tone that down (or, as BioGeoMan suggested make the transition smoother).
It might be nice to have a legend for the elevation colors (and maybe include the bathymetry, too) so we can see how tall those mountains and volcanoes are.
4. Some of the graticule lines look much thicker than others

Good start!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->