mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Hi all,

I am just trying to design a map from nothing due the lack of freely available quality data for my AOI - oh well I do have some sources though they're not quite enough for a detailed map - dem from srtm3, a few road lines from OSM, and the rest drawn from cloudy scene from ETM+.

The purpose of the graphic is to visualise routes of the race - the main one and the sprint one and luckily I managed to extract all the roads from etm+. Although if I am asked to create something similar I believe that instead of getting frustrated with low-res landsat imagery I'll get a gps receiver and contribute some stuff to osm eventually... :P

As the map is still work in progress all the comments are welcomed :unsure:

Attached File  RaceMap.jpg   256.43KB   197 downloads
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

This looks great! Unfortunately, I don't understand Polish (an assumption, of course) so I will only be able to comment on the general look of the map. I suspect that the riders know exactly where this is in the world but if not, you may want to include an inset that shows where exactly it is (i.e., what part of the county, country, world it's in). At first glance I really like how you set apart the race courses but after further thought, if I were racing or a spectator of the race, I would want more context. I liked how you included the same color scheme (green to yellow) to signify elevation change in both the maps and the graphs but it makes the map very mono-tone. I wonder if just a white background would work?

That's my two cents worth! I think it looks great and a creative use of limited data sources!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Looks good. I like the colors and the course profiles.
Can't tell if there are any typos :P

One criticism - the colors for trasa wyscigu (sorry for mangling that) and Juniorzy get a bit lost for me when it gets into the greener areas. Might be a problem for color-blind riders/readers.

Start is the same in Polish, huh? (I guess you don't have a different word for everything) :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Thanks for comments :)

In general not having a free or inexpensive access to the data is pain in the neck, especially with non-profit projects. But that's the European thing, isn't it?

Anyway I'll try with the white backround and post an example if it looks well. I played a bit with the hypso colour and eventually decided to go for green to yellows (a bit like scrambled egs with spring onions in my oppinion ;) even though it looked far better with colour spread including reds - I am just trying to avoid giving an impression it's a highland / mountain stage - denivelation is only around 50 - 60m.

And I'll certainly look into changing the race routes colours. Will try to fit a locator bit too.

Thanks again
Dom

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hi Dom,

You mentioned that the race is only at 50-60m. This is a bit confusing since your elevation profiles show ranges from 120 to 160m. This is of course assuming that the graphs at the bottom of the map are elevation profiles and that they are measured in meters (I don't read or speak Polish). Can you clear this up for me? Thanks.

I like the yellow-green transitional colors! I do agree that a simple locator map would add important information.

Also, thank you for doing work for the non-profit industry. I think it is important to offer non-profit organizations quality work and resources at affordable rates. These organizations are often competing with private industry and need to have quality informational and technical outlets. Have to keep the playing field even!!

Thanks again.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

I was quite sure denivelation means the difference in level between the highest and lowest part of the track, regardless of starting or ending point so assuming the race starts below 120 (110 actually) ant climbs up to over 160, denivelartion would be around 50-60m. Unless I used the wrong word... I didn't add metres to the profile as it's the 'default' unit in Poland :)

I've added a simple locator map in the title box just to see how it fits and prepared two more background versions, I personnaly like the gray version most but have to wait till the recipient of the map makes up his mind. Until then I don't do any colour adjustements (i am thinking of adding hypso colouring to the locator map, and perhaps balancing the colours a bit better). Will post the next version whenever it's ready.

And the non-profit jobs... :) I don't do them too often as have to earn my living first but I also think that if they (NGOs) do a good social job they have the right to have good quality products (maps, articles, etc.) no matter their budged is :) So yes I get involved from time to time :)

Attached File  version1.jpg   259.3KB   36 downloads
Attached File  version2.jpg   259.41KB   40 downloads
Attached File  version3.jpg   258.37KB   49 downloads

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

You're right about denivelation. I never heard that word before.

denivelation defined

I still prefer the yellow and green background. The white or gray backgrounds look like the courses are floating with no relation to each other or the background.
But then, maybe the one with the yellow/green background is implying a relationship and context that isn't correct? Is the yellow/green background showing the terrain outside the course areas? Are the 2 courses situated like that on the ground?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

But then, maybe the one with the yellow/green background is implying a relationship and context that isn't correct? Is the yellow/green background showing the terrain outside the course areas? Are the 2 courses situated like that on the ground?

Actually the yellow-green background is just a background made of the hypso colours and the raster used for both maps and that's the only connection - there is no spatial relationship between the background and maps. There is between the maps though. If you look at the bigger map, there is a magnifying glass in it's SW part and also a paler highlighting indicating the enlarged area. The enlargment is on the right side. I thought it should be self explanatory but it looks like it might not be obvious enough. Will try to think of something additional to make the connection a bit more obvious :)

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

If you look at the bigger map, there is a magnifying glass in it's SW part and also a paler highlighting indicating the enlarged area. The enlargment is on the right side. I thought it should be self explanatory but it looks like it might not be obvious enough.

Ah, now that you point it out it's obvious. :) In that case I prefer the ones without the green/yellow background.
I wondered why that part of the bigger map was a bit lighter, but I didn't notice the magifying glass or make the connection between the 2 maps.
Just wondering out loud here, but does the smaller course really need to be a separate map? If it does then maybe the link between the 2 could be strengthened. Some sort of connecting lines or a subtle filled "swoosh", like cartoon motion effects, maybe?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->