3 replies to this topic

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • United States

We are seeking a few bad maps (and the cartographers who made them) for a new event for NACIS Practical Cartography Day (PCD) in Missoula. Cartastrophes are those truly awful maps that all of us occasionally make—and don’t normally bring to NACIS meetings.

Besides having a few laughs, the idea is that there is much to learn from bad maps and, placing one's ego to the side, who better to discuss them than the responsible party. In a quick succession of presentations, each person will have up to two minutes to candidly explain what went wrong with his or her map. The reasons are many: youthful inexperience, lack of time, client meddling, design experiments gone awry, etc.

If you would like to “show off” one of your cartastrophes at PCD, please send us the title of your map. As conference time approaches, we will need a 1,024 x 768 image or two of your map for a PowerPoint presentation.

Just wait until to you see the cartastrophes that we will show.

Alex Tait, PCD co-organizer
alex@internationalmapping.com

Tom Patterson, PCD co-organizer
pattert@verizon.net

P.S. The rest of the PCD program is filling up and will offer a wide variety of topics. The preliminary program will be ready soon.

amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:map design, mountain cartography, typography
  • United States

Another plea for CARTASTROPHE participants

OK folks, we know you are all shy, but if you are going to the NACIS 2008 in Missoula why not join in the fun? Let Tom or I know you would like to contribute to the Cartastrophes session and then find a good sample, just pick one from your early days and blame it on youth. If we do not get enough participants, we'll have to cancel the session.

__Alex
Alex Tait
VP, International Mapping, Ellicott City, MD, USA

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

Tom and Alex, you make a pretty effective good cop/bad cop duo, and you've talked me into it. I'll have at least one cartastrophe, maybe more. (There, I've admitted it: I've made at least one mistake on a map!)
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

What a great idea!
I have two major nuclear catastrophic maps that happened 20 years ago which would provide hilarious ( if cringing) entertainement I,m not sure I can find those images though. I,ll try.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->