Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Hi All,

I've just been asked to submit a bid to create a map that will, in the end, be about 53" x 63". As I can't print this size of map, I'm going to have to farm out the printing. Has anyone used online services to plot large-format print jobs? How was it? I'm in the Vancouver, BC area - does anyone know of any print shops in this area with that capability?

Thanks.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

What kind of quantity are you looking at printing? If its just a couple, the shop that I spend my daylight hours working at just got a beautiful new HP Z6100 inkjet printer that will do 60" prints. ... Not sure if you count "Bellingham" as "in the area" though, what with that border crossing and all. :) Send me a PM if you want to discuss pricing.

-Adam

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

I've just been asked to submit a bid to create a map that will, in the end, be about 53" x 63". As I can't print this size of map, I'm going to have to farm out the printing. Has anyone used online services to plot large-format print jobs? How was it? I'm in the Vancouver, BC area - does anyone know of any print shops in this area with that capability?

I recently uploaded a larger-size map to Kinko's, and I thought the whole process went pretty smoothly. You'd have to discuss what their capabilities are, though, for a map of that size - my map was only 24" x 36". But it was a fairly high-rez printer - I was pleased with the quality. They charged about $50 for this... which brings up a related question for the forum: is Kinko's the best way to go for small-quantity, large-format print jobs like this? Or can you find lower prices (but still good quality) elsewhere?
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

A few years ago, I had a large map (I think it may have been 42") that had shaded relief on it, and I sent it to two printers -- Kinko's and Wayside Press http://www.waysidepress.com/ . Kinko's was fast and cheap, but Wayside was "way" better. Their print caught the subtle tone changes in the relief and left Kinko's in the dust. Oh -- and they're located in Vernon BC, relatively close to Vancouver.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

I recently uploaded a larger-size map to Kinko's, and I thought the whole process went pretty smoothly. You'd have to discuss what their capabilities are, though, for a map of that size - my map was only 24" x 36". But it was a fairly high-rez printer - I was pleased with the quality. They charged about $50 for this... which brings up a related question for the forum: is Kinko's the best way to go for small-quantity, large-format print jobs like this? Or can you find lower prices (but still good quality) elsewhere?

Gamerprinter

Gamerprinter

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

I run my own Print-on-Demand and custom digital printing shop expecially for maps (www.gamer-printshop.com)

Unfortunately, my large format inkjet printer is limited to 42 inches wide x 59 feet long (the difference in price between my printer and one that can print 54" wide is about $30,000 - I couldn't justify the price to obtain a grand format printer.)

I charge $2.99 per square foot for large format, full color printing with capability of doing resolutions at 720 dpi, 1440 dpi and 2880 dpi. I also offer large format lamination (price based on linear inch, not square foot, but 24 x 36 is $4.50 each.)

I print RPG maps, GIS, CAD or graphics formats.

GP

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

I charge $2.99 per square foot for large format, full color printing...

So, am I correct that a 24" x 36" map would cost about $18.00? How much would it cost to ship something that size within the US?
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Gamerprinter

Gamerprinter

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • No Country Selected

I charge $2.99 per square foot for large format, full color printing...

So, am I correct that a 24" x 36" map would cost about $18.00? How much would it cost to ship something that size within the US?

Yes, specifically a 24" x 36" map would cost your $17.91 to print, plus $9 for shipping in a 25" x 3" tube (USPS or UPS available.) I ship anywhere worldwide.

GP

AllegraPress

AllegraPress

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I didn’t realize that is so difficult to find large format printing service. I own printing shop Allegra Print & Imaging in Port Coquitlam http://www.allegrapr...om/large-format , and we print large format on HP Z3100, Roland Soljet Pro III XJ540 and Vutek. Anything, from high resolution fine art to grand format posters. If you still have a problem to find service to print your map, please let me know.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd revive it.  I have a potential client in Juneau, Alaska who is asking for a bid for a 36x24 poster map with associated printing costs.  The first part is a no brainer, but the latter not so much.  I'm located in Portland, Oregon and so am looking for high-quality large format printing (maps are meant to be hung decoratively on the wall) that can either be printed here and shipped, or can be printed elsewhere and either shipped to Juneau, or the client can pick up the maps in Anchorage.  They are hoping for 50 initial posters.  Does anyone on the list have any suggestions or leads?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Analisa

Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

This is a great online resource: http://gotprint.net/....unfortunately, minimum run is 250 for that size.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Thank you Michael. I will investigate regardless of there min. run.

Be well,

Analisa

Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I use PrintPlace and SharpDots for a lot of printing these days.  PrintPlace, for instance, will run 250 24 x 36 posters for $861 plus shipping.  Even if you throw away 200 of them, that gives you a unit cost of $18, which isn't too bad for 12 square feet.

For larger sizes, I've used BigPosters.com

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thank you.  I'm putting together a spreadsheet of different pricing schemes from the above printers.  I'll post it here for review for interested members.

Happy Friday!

Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

We can print 50 at that size on coated paper stock for $575, or on photo paper, glossy print, for $700, and can print small quantities after that at similar per-unit prices. However, a 24" print will have a small margin (~8mm). If the maps need to be trimmed, add $55 to those prices. If the entire 24" width must be printed, we cannot do that.

These are HP Vivera archival inks: UV-resistant, fade resistent. Shipping would be at cost.

— daan Strebe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->