• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I just got a notice about this new service/map from Mapping Worlds. The guy behind this posted on CartoTalk at some point, and I have been in touch with him in the past.

Pretty cool, and I like the animation. Like the old Worldmapper site, but taken one step (or two) further. I am not sure about the power of the communication though, beyond the gimmick...

http://show.mappingworlds.com/
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I believe that is Desmond Spruijt work. He's done some nice cartograms in the past - an interesting style taking non-contiguous cartograms and kind of mushing the shapes together to give a sense of topology. Of course, the boundaries are all broken down. I've been interested in creating a tool to recreate the effect and manage some of the error introduced in the areas when the features start to overlap. Of course, I always have a bunch of cartogram related tools I'd like to create...

Sam Pepple was working on a project giving similar cartogram perspectives on oil supply. He had a slick interactive Flash animation setup for it - much like this Show/World thing.

I'd be really interested to find how Desmond is managing the animations between cartograms.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Yes, that's Desmond Spruijt's work indeed.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I'll ping Desmond and see if he wants to respond.

Speaking of nothing, I have to say that I find that the name is not the best, very low googleability, and doesn't capture what the site is about... or?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

desmond

desmond

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Netherlands

I'll ping Desmond and see if he wants to respond.

Speaking of nothing, I have to say that I find that the name is not the best, very low googleability, and doesn't capture what the site is about... or?

Hi there,

SHOW: lean back and enjoy; display of data. Our name covers both these elements. It is indeed different from Dopplr and Cuil, but our aim, our claim to fame is to appear at the Google list top end because of external pointers and traffic...
(early stages, the traffic has yet to build)

The animations between the maps are one reason we do these non-contiguous cartograms additional to the contiguous ones. We developed an algorhytm to calculate the maps, but Action Script can handle the animations between finished maps completely on its own, while with the contiguous maps Flash needs pre-formatted shape tweens. These are very much doable (we did a number of them), but require human editing to be smooth and flawless, and carry kilobites.

The backend straightforwardness allows us to include an unlimited number of animations between maps and to offer animations to our visitors. They can easily embed SHOW Clip in their blogs or web pages. Or supply us with data for their subject to be included.

Eric, the oil animation you mention: it could be ours perhaps?, we did one as a demo Flash site a while ago. It showed oil and gas reserves, and compared those to depletion by consumption and production. I am very curious to see how others treated this subject.

Desmond

Sam Pepple

Sam Pepple

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Sam Pepple here, the creator of the aforementioned oil cartogram. Eric was shown a sneak peak this winter when I visited Boulder. I used his ArcMap script Cartocreator to create my cartograms and our subsequent dialogue was invaluable to my work. Unfortunately I have yet to publish it, but hopefully by this fall I will have some time to get it up on the web.

Desmond, I really like the resize solution, I called mine "morph", allowing the user at anytime to see the undistorted (or presumably undistorted version) of the world. I think it would be advantageous for the user to be able to keep a small version of the undistorted world in the corner, or possibly the option of a lower percentage opacity overlay.

It is my understanding that dynamic cartography is the only appropriate venue for cartograms, and it is only now that people will fully understand their communicative potential.

"Cartograms are unfamiliar..... we don't learn from familiarity." -Dorling

Good Work.
SAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->