• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I think you have a font problem... all your symbols have been replaced by either a blue + (the church) or a red ^ (guests).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I think you have a font problem... all your symbols have been replaced by either a blue + (the church) or a red ^ (guests).

I'm seeing the church and stars here. Could be it's using a font some people don't have.

Looking good.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

Otherwise, I'll probably print it off again and stare at it this weekend. My co-worker suggested that I print off 125, laminate them, and use them as place settings. My fiance also had the idea, I believe it was brought up here too, of having one available to the guests to sign and then we can frame it up. I think we are going to have a camera and mini chalk board so that people can write a few thoughts down and take a picture with it. Then create a photo/guest book.

All great ideas! I especially like the placesettings and camera/mini chalk board idea.

PS. She is beautiful, I am a lucky man to say the least.

Cartographers *only* marry hot women.

(Married to a hot woman, too) :lol:
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Congrats and cool map.

Can you add some scale bars?

How about using a key that has proportional symbols with labels to give people an idea of how many people the star sizes represent?

Cheers!

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

Same here... maybe a mac thing?
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Otherwise, I'll probably print it off again and stare at it this weekend. My co-worker suggested that I print off 125, laminate them, and use them as place settings. My fiance also had the idea, I believe it was brought up here too, of having one available to the guests to sign and then we can frame it up. I think we are going to have a camera and mini chalk board so that people can write a few thoughts down and take a picture with it. Then create a photo/guest book.

All great ideas! I especially like the placesettings and camera/mini chalk board idea.

PS. She is beautiful, I am a lucky man to say the least.

Cartographers *only* marry hot women.

(Married to a hot woman, too) :lol:

Cartographers also look for smart woman too! Got to have the best of both worlds. Afterall We have standards we must maintain. ;)

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

SM_Mapper

SM_Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

I think it is because I'm using Adobe Pro 9 and you might be reading with an older Adobe? I have the same problem when I look at it at home or send it to my folks to view.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I think it is because I'm using Adobe Pro 9 and you might be reading with an older Adobe? I have the same problem when I look at it at home or send it to my folks to view.

From the file descriptions in Acrobat, the first file looks like it came out of Distiller and the second one came directly out of ArcMap. Likewise some of the fonts are embedded in the first, none of them are in the second. That's what is causing the viewing problem for some of us. As a rule of thumb you should always embed all fonts when producing a PDF for outside users to view.
Rick Dey

SM_Mapper

SM_Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

From the file descriptions in Acrobat, the first file looks like it came out of Distiller and the second one came directly out of ArcMap. Likewise some of the fonts are embedded in the first, none of them are in the second. That's what is causing the viewing problem for some of us. As a rule of thumb you should always embed all fonts when producing a PDF for outside users to view.

I should of known that, but glad you told me. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully this is embedded now. Also, thanks to everyone who gave some advice. Going to be a great weekend.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->