Contact: Mark Harrower (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Location: Department of Geography, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 550 N. Park Street, Madison, WI 53706
Telephone Number: (608) 262-2138 FAX:(608) 265-3991
Annual Salary Range: $55,000-$60,000
Job Description: We are looking for an accomplished and energetic cartographer to manage and oversee the daily
operations of the UW Cartography Lab located in the Dept. of Geography. This is a rare opportunity to join the oldest
university cartography lab in the country and to shape its future. For over 50 years the Lab has worked closely with faculty
and members of the public to create maps of the highest quality and simultaneously provide learning and apprenticeship
opportunities for students.
The primary duties of this position are to design and produce maps and related products (both print and online), work with
the faculty Lab Director to bid on jobs and secure funds (both internal and external funds), manage lab operations and
client relations, and supervise and train our team of student employees. The products produced by the lab range from
illustrations for textbooks to wall maps to educational websites to fully interactive online maps and mash-ups.
See http://www.ohr.wisc..../pv_059204.html for official university posting.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), 12-month academic staff position with a complete suite of benefits including health
insurance, vacation, sick leave, State of Wisconsin retirement system eligibility, and more.
• Principles and techniques of cartography.
• Principles of cartographic design.
• Fundamentals of computers and cartographic software.
• Fundamentals of project management.
• Fundamentals of training, supervising, and evaluating employees.
• Undergraduate degree in geography/mapping sciences or a related field with a minimum of 7 years of
experience in commercial/production cartography.
• Demonstrated excellence in map design.
• A proven track record to secure funds and work closely with a broad range of clients.
Other desired qualifications:
• Preference given to applicants with graduate degree(s) in geography/mapping sciences or a related field with at
least 5 years of experience.
• Experience managing employees.
• A broad set of digital skills in the latest mapping/GIS/web software technologies.
Application Deadline: August 15, 2008
Start Date: October 1, 2008.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, 5 samples from your portfolio (print or digital), and names of 3 references to:
Department of Geography
University of Wisconsin-Madison
160 Science Hall
550 North Park Street
Madison, WI 53706
NOTE: A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names of applicants must be released upon
request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.