Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Hi!!!

This is a typical detail Engineering Drawing for your reference, just have a look at the same and let me know how it looks.

Regards,
GISGURU.

Attached Files

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This is a typical detail Engineering Drawing for your reference, just have a look at the same and let me know how it looks.

Kinda awkward, because it's at a 90 degree angle, and it's kinda hard to see yellow on white. Reading the green on white text isn't exactly easy either.

Let me ask you this:
What was your involvement with this drawing? Did you design it, or did you convert it?

The Map Gallery is meant to show off maps (and what is or isn't a map is another discussion) that you have either designed or produced or at the very least have had some involvement in how it looks. It can be a finished product, or something that still being worked on. We're not judging in any way whether something is "worthy" of being shown here (I'm a member of a photography forum where the admins are very strict on what's "showcase" or "testcase" material), but the kind of engineering drawings you have been posting don't give the impression you had a lot of opportunity to do anything about the design. So next time you post something, please tell us a bit more about it so we can give you some more meaningful comments.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

Yep...its a typical engineering drawing.

As advertised.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello GISGURU,

Yes, this is a typical engineering drawing. Doesn't seem to be anything special about it. I do many of these kinds of drawings as well (from scratch, usually for an engineer that I work with that designs water and wastewater systems).

The colors are standard colors that get used in AutoCAD that then usually get printed in gray scale. I don't have any formal training in CAD so I always wondered why they used those horrid colors instead of just using shades of gray, black, line widths and dashes. Does anyone know? It ultimately gets printed that way (gray scale) so why work with those gawd-awful colors?

Just curious!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The colors are standard colors that get used in AutoCAD that then usually get printed in gray scale. I don't have any formal training in CAD so I always wondered why they used those horrid colors instead of just using shades of gray, black, line widths and dashes. Does anyone know? It ultimately gets printed that way (gray scale) so why work with those gawd-awful colors?

Colors get translated to line widths. At least that's how AutoCAD used to work back when I used it in school. But in the ongoing discussions with my dad (a hobby AutoCAD user) this is actually one of the recurring arguments.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

I always assumed the line colors in AutoCAD corresponded with the interchangeable color-coded pen nibs back in the days when plotters used real pens of varying thicknesses.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

hassan.cartography

hassan.cartography

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Mapping
  • India

what conversion you are talking about in it? <_<

Hi!!!

Regards,
GISGURU.

Contact at
hassanjmi@gmail.com

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making &amp; Map making
  • India

Hi!!!

As HANS had mentioned, may be i shouldn't have posted this sample over here, coz i clearly understand that there are different forum where i need to post such drawings, CARTO TALK is mapping related forum, So there is no points in explaining anything in details on such drawings, shall see to it that i will be posting only mapping related interesting stuffs.

Cheers!!!
GISGURU.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->