• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Getting tired of the Nez Perce yet? Here's another from my series. In this map my client wanted me to emphasize the Nez Perce's raids on civilians which would eventually lead to the White Bird Canyon battle and the start of the Nez Perce war. I also had to include the other skirmishes and battles that took place as the Nez Perce fled to the Bitterroot Valley, MT.

As with my other maps, it has to be B&W. CS3 (with a lot of gradient meshes), MAPublisher, and ArcMAP9.2 were used.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hey kru, great map! I have a few MINOR suggestions:

• Just a thought, but in labeling creeks, you may want to use the traditional "Cr." instead of "C."
  • The Nez Perce Reservation Boundary is a bit clumsy looking (if that makes sense), could you use a different line weight with transparency, or dashed, or both. Maybe label the boundary too, it seems a bit disconnected.
  • The territorial boundary along the Snake River looks different than that between WA Territory and Oregon. I know it is because the Snake IS the boundary and the lines overlap, but it may be a bit confusing for some (hopefully not many).
  • The symbology between town (circle) and military outpost (square) look similar when they are that small, maybe you could increase the size of one, or make one hollow to distinguish between the two a bit better.
  • The mountain annotation could be spaced apart a bit more, especially the "Seven Devils Mtn." annotation, it feels a bit crowded.

NICE!!

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Awesome
I love those historical war timeline maps.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very Kool Kru.

I like your retro-post-modern elevation techniques.

My only suggestion is would be to investigate a graphical treatment of the Snake River so that the state boundary doesn't visually occlude its presentation. It's a pretty major water feature, but the Imnaha River shows-up more pronounced. Perhaps this is related to what Biogeoman refers to in his post about the difference b/w territorial boundaries.

By using a white hash-mark for the boundary, when it is coincident with a river you get a stronger dash-dot pattern. Perhaps offsetting the boundary along the Snake would alleviate this, however I am sure there are other options as well.

I think the Reservation boundary works fine. It's an unnatural artifact of civilization (or the lack thereof) and defining it with a tight angular poly sets it apart from all the other linework. I wonder if making the stroke lighter in color value would associate it closer to the other territorial boundary?

Nice and clear b/w work!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->