ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone using ArcGIS 9.3 has downloaded the Adobe Acrobat 9 patch and tested the new PDF export? I'd like to be able to test this out on a project I've been working on, but before I uninstall 9.2 I'd like to get a little feedback and if possible get my hands on a sample PDF. Does anyone have a sample PDF? It doesnt have to be anything fancy, just a rough PDF with a couple of layers. Thanks. Erin

Here's some info from ESRI's What's New in 9.3 page:
"ArcGIS 9.3 Adds Support for the New Geospatial Capabilities in Adobe Acrobat 9

The Adobe Acrobat 9 release includes an update to the PDF specification which allows map coordinate system information to be stored in a PDF. This allows users of Adobe Acrobat 9 products to perform geographic operations including seeing a coordinate readout as they move the cursor over the map, finding specific XY locations, measuring distances in map units, and adding markups. ESRI has collaborated with Adobe Systems over the past year to ensure a seamless workflow for taking advantage of this new functionality when distributing maps in PDF format.

The geospatial functionality available to Adobe Acrobat users when they use a PDF depends on which Acrobat 9 product they are using and how the PDF was generated:

• Adobe 9 Reader: Coordinate readout and find XY can be performed on PDFs exported from ArcMap. Measurement and markup can also be performed in Adobe 9 Reader if the PDF exported from ArcMap has first been resaved using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro or Pro Extended to enable that functionality.
  • Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard or Pro: Coordinate readout, find XY, measurement, and markup.
  • Acrobat 9 Pro Extended: Coordinate readout, find XY, measurement and markup. Advanced authoring capabilities allow shapefiles, GeoTiffs, and Jpeg2000 to be added to maps.
For more information about the Adobe Acrobat 9 products, see www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.

Support for creating PDFs with these new geospatial capabilities with ArcGIS is available as a free download that can be installed once you have installed ArcGIS 9.3. "

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Any luck in finding any info on this? Please let us know if you find an example PDF—if not we should have our copy of 9.3 shortly and I'll create one and stick it up here.

All seems pretty scant in the way of info. Would be promising if there is anyway to get markups back from PDF to a GIS file but all I can find is getting xy readouts and a bit of measuring in the pdf—not particularly ground breaking stuff.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

I've got it loaded. It's cool, but I agree not ground-breaking. Mark-ups would be better to have. I've attached a cheap demo.

You do need Adobe Reader 9 for this to work.

Attached Files

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I've got it loaded. It's cool, but I agree not ground-breaking. Mark-ups would be better to have. I've attached a cheap demo.

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the sample. Yeah, it's not groundbreaking but it does up-the-ante on functionality, which is great for PDF based content coming out of ArcGIS. Nothing wrong with more options! I'm particulariy thrilled about the collapsable layer control. As you probably know, in the past all sub-layers were simply grouped into one layer making layer organization and control in the PDF somewhat amateur and clunky....especially if your map document had a bunch of layers. So this is a great. All we need now is the ability to query or view attributes on features! Although I wonder how much "Geo PDF" functionality ESRI is willing to allow before they see it as a light-weight competitor to ArcPublisher/Reader documents. Anyways, thanks again.

Sam,
Thanks for the reply as well. Agreed, not super groundbreaking but my primary "wish" was for a little more layer control and that seems to have come true!

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Great thanks Paul

All we need now is the ability to query or view attributes on features!

Seems you already can—I guess you know with terrago's Map2PDF product you always could—but it appears using the Tools > Analysis > Object Data Tool on one of the photo items I got a selection of all the photos then if I double click on one of these selected features (or select it nested in the layers menu) I get a model tree window which seems to have the attributes shown in for the objects!

Have a look under View > Navigation Panels > Model Tree. One thing is selecting the features using the Object Data Tool was a bit slow on this smallish number of features so not sure what would happen if you were working with a map with a lot of features availible to look at.

It's def all good improvements—if the layers thing is working then this is a nice bonus I hadn't anticpated from what I was reading. What I'd really like to be able to get my clients pdf comments and markups back to Arc without going via un referenced dxf files—though now coordinates are in there it can't be long before someone works out a solution for that but would like to see it as a part of Acrobat extended package which can suposedly deal with the shp format as input. Seems you can "Mark Location" which gives you a comment in the markup including the Lat/Long so I guess thats something.

Interesting to see how it deals with projections—was this PDF in a projection or Lat/Longs?

Thanks both for thoughts on this—if only ESRI would hurry up and get 9.3 shipped to us now :rolleyes:
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Some more info—seems the Acrobat 9 maps is a partnership with Terrago.

http://geopdf.blogspot.com/
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

MichaelG

MichaelG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

During development of Acrobat 9, Adobe worked with both TerraGo (the GeoPDF people) and ESRI.

ESRI provided early support for the new Acrobat 9 compatible PDF format by ensuring ArcGIS 9.3 exports to the new format. We also collaborated with Adobe during Acrobat product development to provide technology for geographic coordinate calculations. Acrobat and Reader 9 use ESRI technology to perform geographic coordinate interpretation and projection. Offical stuff here:
http://www.esri.com/...arcgis_pdf.html

One cool thing about this is support for lots of map projections. Even some of the hard cases like Goode's Homolosine support coordinate readout in Acrobat and Reader.

Regarding the new formatting of the PDF layers (the new nested layers) and feature attribute export... these features are in the core 9.3 release (you don't need the 9.3 PDF patch). The functionality is also compatible with earlier versions of Acrobat and Reader, so you don't necessarily need Reader 9 to see attributes or nested layers.

Michael
ESRI
Michael Grossman
ESRI

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi

I have downloaded the new Adobe Reader 9. It opens the file but there is some problem with the Geospatial location tool. And it does not shown any geo location with the error that the tools has not been loaded. What could be the error?

Anu

Adam Estrada

Adam Estrada

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

All,
Please download the TerraGo GeoPDF Toolbar to get GPS support, the ability to markup your documents, import/export layers and much more.

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->