6 replies to this topic

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Here's a quick map I put together for a friend who was going back to Ferryland to visit his family and to attend a wedding. He will also be having visitors from out of town and wanted a simple map with a few POI on it. This was very last minute (did it in about 2.5 hrs) and I didn't have time to get into the symbology and draw little buildings and what not, so the only thing we came up with was the lighthouse, which is probably the biggest tourist spot there. He also wanted to emphasize the shorelines b/c that's what is constantly in view when you're there. I had more coast line feature labels on there, but he thought it was getting too crowded, so I removed several of them.

All of the data is from Geogratis and GeoBase and compiled in ArcMap. I couldn't find any other higher resolution elevation data... so it is rather coarse. I did manage to smooth it a bit in Photoshop though. b/c of the coarse elevation data, i had to settle for pre-made contours that were from geogratis. i smoothed it out where i could. Shoreline shading vignette was done in Illustrator. The line vignettes were done in ArcMap (multiple buffer rings and then dissolved).

Enjoy... and according to my friend, the Lighthouse is really worth visiting. :)

Attached File  ferryland_final_outlines.jpg   390.95KB   221 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looks nice Mike, but I'm getting the impression that the lakes are higher than the surrounding (dark green) land.

Also, wouldn't it have been better to focus on Ferryland? Even zooming in so that Calvert is still visible gives some more separation to the numbers in Ferryland.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Looks nice Mike, but I'm getting the impression that the lakes are higher than the surrounding (dark green) land.

Also, wouldn't it have been better to focus on Ferryland? Even zooming in so that Calvert is still visible gives some more separation to the numbers in Ferryland.

hehe, I had a feeling somebody would mention the lakes. yeah, the elevation data wasn't very fun to work with. and i really ran out of time since he asked me to do this the day he left. :huh:

My friend wanted Calvert, the north shore of Calvert Bay, and Merrymeeting Pond on there... so that is the extent we came up with. Also, b/c people had to drive from St. John's so he wanted to show the Calvert area. he actually wanted to show a larger extent (think the entire coastline from St. John's to Ferryland) and still show details of Ferryland ... but i talked him out of that. :)

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I found it instantly attractive as a whole
To me, the orange road does not stand out as much as I would like it to and the elevation lines distract.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I agree with Hans, I kept thinking that I know the area is glaciated, but that is not a cirque.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

i agree with jean-louis, very appealing to the eye. Really like the font and border.
The lighthouse icon is great as well.

My eyes seem to keep trying to find a title though.

great work- hope your friend enjoyed it.

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I would have liked to see more of the cool symbols like the light house but understandable if you were short on time. I'm not a fan of having graticules behind land masses but either way I'd put labels on them of not use them at all. Also a scale is needed and a locater map would be nice too. Other than that its a really beautiful piece, love the colors, shading, and fonts.

Cheers!

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->