Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Hi folks!

Long tme, no post.

I was and am exposed to a lot of papers & books from MacEachren right now. I have some issues with several things, but I´d first like to know if anyone here has first-hand experience with him.

Add:
Is there any good scientific review site, reviewing his works?
Are there any critics of MacEachren and his influence on Visualization and scientific cartography in anglophone cartography?

Right now I´m really wondering if I´m caught in a "citation cartel", but it seems as if his current Visualization works and his seminal work "how maps work" are above criticism and universally accepted.

When I was doing hands-on work, I could merrily ignore him, not so with other authors like Bertin, Imhof, Spiess or even Robinson. What´s the relevance of MacEachren to the Cartographers in the trenches?

Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope for a lively discussion.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

He was one of my professors at Penn State and I have a couple of his books on my shelf. He was/is a very good professor and I enjoyed the courses and other work I did with him and my fellow grad students. I think I got a lot out of it, too.
I'll leave the other questions to other people.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

When I was doing hands-on work, I could merrily ignore him, not so with other authors like Bertin, Imhof, Spiess or even Robinson. What´s the relevance of MacEachren to the Cartographers in the trenches?

I'm "in the trenches", and I've never heard of MacEachren until now. The name in your list that stands out for me is Imhof. His book does touch on theory, but it's also an in-the-trenches how-to manual. And not just for shaded relief -- he wrote classic instruction (illustrated!) about generalization, name placement, etc. One of the giants! :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

One of the Giants indeed!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It was quite a while since I looked into the scientific development of carto/viz, but back then (a few years ago) I read a bunch of his articles and books, and had quite a good impression of it. I am not too into the scientific part of the interactive cartography though.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Thanks for the insight so far.

frax, did you read "How Maps Work"?

What was your impression of it?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

nice that some old stuff works... I used to take notes about scientific articles in an Access database. I just located it (migrated from 6 computers or so since then, 8 years ago) and I found that I had noted down that I should look into "how maps work" and I found the reference to it in some list of literature by j.b. krygier.

(nowadays I use citeulike)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

RonInNJ

RonInNJ

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • United States
Kartograph,

I had him as an undergraduate for a couple of classes in the late 80's. I thought he was a good instructor and an intense researcher. He gave me a solid understanding of traditional cartographic methods and principles and introduced his students to the future (cartography using a PC). I also have a couple of his books but I haven't looked at them in a few years.

R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->