• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello,

Does anybody know how to scale multiple objects relative to the centroid of each individual object, rather than scaling and misplacing the object on the X, Y line as well. For example I want to scale all my dots representing my cities 25% larger, however, Illustrator CS3 will scale them 25% larger but will displace them in the process.

I know that I have done this before, I think.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Use transform each.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Use transform each.

Thanks, but that is not working either. Maybe I have something checked in my preferences, but that didn't appear to be the case.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Zingbot

Zingbot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Make certain they are not grouped or the Transform Each won't work as you want. It really sounds like that was the right answer.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I just did some testing and it works on CS2. I just created bunch of squares and circles all over the page and using Transform Each, the objects get smaller or larger but the distance between them remains the same. Make sure you have CENTER as a reference point selected (center dot on the Trannsform Each Page)

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I just did some testing and it works on CS2. I just created bunch of squares and circles all over the page and using Transform Each, the objects get smaller or larger but the distance between them remains the same. Make sure you have CENTER as a reference point selected (center dot on the Trannsform Each Page)

Thanks again, Yeah I tried and checked all of that. I have put them on their own layer, grouped them, and all with the same result. Finally I added a stroke and adjusted its weight until I got my desired size. Not the right way to do it, but an effective one.

Thanks for your help
kuru
Strabo 22AD

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Thanks again, Yeah I tried and checked all of that. I have put them on their own layer, grouped them, and all with the same result. Finally I added a stroke and adjusted its weight until I got my desired size. Not the right way to do it, but an effective one.

Thanks for your help
kuru

Have you tried resetting the bounding box? If you've transformed the box by rotating slightly et cetera you'll end up with weird/distorted objects after running the Transform Each. Try resetting it by selecting all of your objects...then, Object Menu>Transform>Reset Bounding Box

How about the 'scale stroke and effects' box in Preferences?

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Wouldn't grouping the objects be the reason that the Transform Each doesn't work? If they are grouped, they act as a single unit, and will scale based on the center point of that unit.

Try ungrouping them, then Transform Each. This will allow them to act independently of each other.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Spain

I've noticed this problem in Illustrator CS2, too. It only seems to happen if I select an entire layer of objects and then perform Transform Each -- it seems to treat the whole layer as a unit or group. But if I select each object in the layer individually, then use Transform Each, it works the way it should. Selecting objects individually can be tedious so to speed things up, I've gotten around it by selecting the layers of objects you need to transform (assuming you want to transform all of them), then deselecting the first object in each selected layer, performing Transform Each, deselecting all, then individually selecting the first objects in each layer and doing Transform Each again.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Thanks to all for the help. I never knew what reseting the transform box did, but now I do. However, it wasn't the problem. I had exhausted the various methods of trying to solve the problem; grouped/ungrouped, layered/unlayered, preferences, etc... The only thing that worked was Michael's suggestion of selecting the entire layer and deselecting the first object. Worked as it should. Bad news for you Michael, as of yet the problem hasn't been solved in CS3.
As I always tell my students; you don't know a program until you know what it can't do.

kru
Strabo 22AD

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've noticed this problem in Illustrator CS2, too. It only seems to happen if I select an entire layer of objects and then perform Transform Each -- it seems to treat the whole layer as a unit or group. But if I select each object in the layer individually, then use Transform Each, it works the way it should. Selecting objects individually can be tedious so to speed things up, I've gotten around it by selecting the layers of objects you need to transform (assuming you want to transform all of them), then deselecting the first object in each selected layer, performing Transform Each, deselecting all, then individually selecting the first objects in each layer and doing Transform Each again.

I sometimes create a "dummy object" outside the artboard, lock it, and then transform away.

It also works to select all in more than one layer, or select all in a layer, and then select an additional object outside that layer.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Doh!!! All of this information would have been useful to me last week! The Transform and Tranform Each command was giving all sorts of trouble. At least now I know for next time.

Rich

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I sometimes create a "dummy object" outside the artboard, lock it, and then transform away.

It also works to select all in more than one layer, or select all in a layer, and then select an additional object outside that layer.

I just tested the dummy method and that worked as well, however, I also had to turn off its visibility.
kru
Strabo 22AD

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

"Find and replace graphic" should solve the problem. Just resize first object to the size you want put it on the top of the layer and run the script.
http://kelsocartogra...cripts/#nvkelso

regards
Gregory

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Canada

I've had it that I couldn't transform each object but when I selected half of the graphics and applied transform each it worked fine. Then select the other half and your all set. Easy work around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->