4 replies to this topic

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Does anyone know of a way to index with unequal grid-square sizes?

When you make your grid, it automatically divides the area into equal-sized grid squares. In older Freehand versions of MAPublisher, you were able to direct-select the corners of the individual grid squares and drag them into new positions, thus creating an unequal map grid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Martha

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Does anyone know of a way to index with unequal grid-square sizes?

When you make your grid, it automatically divides the area into equal-sized grid squares. In older Freehand versions of MAPublisher, you were able to direct-select the corners of the individual grid squares and drag them into new positions, thus creating an unequal map grid.

This is not possible in MAPublisher, though with help of some GIS application (I used FME) you can do it.

- Create your grid and assign a unique identifier to every grid square (or whatever shape you picked, I did this for an indexing grid of concentric circles)
- Export your texts to mid/mif using MAPublisher
- Export your grid layer as well, make sure they're areas
- Overlay in a GIS application

If I'm not mistaken, I already filed a request with Avenza to use any area layer as grid layer for indexing, but I'll check with them again.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Martha. Could you tell me exactly what you mean by "index with unequal grid-square sizes" or could you give me some examples of purposes of making unequal grid square sizes index? I was thinking of how to create irregular shape index types and had a few different ideas of irregular shape index styles...but I am not sure any of my ideas is going to match with what you want... :)

You are right that when you create a grid in MAPublisher, every square in the grid is the same shape. You mentioned that "you were able to direct-select the corners of the individual grid squares and drag them into new positions in the old version of MAPublisher".

Well, ... if you want to change the shape of each grid, actually you can still do with the latest version of MAPublisher as well.... However, please note that the grid is not going to be "legend" anymore... every one of the "grid square" becomes a rectangular object (like Adobe Illustrator object).

Here is what you might try:
1) create a grid in a MAPublisher legend layer
2) select the created grid (all the grid is selected as one object at this point, right?)
3) Now expand the selected grid by clicking "Object / expand" (Now the grid cannot be editted as a grid anymore)
4) Right click on the expanded grid (it is still selected as one object, right?).. now select "ungroup"
5) now you can modify individual squares by clicking and dragging the corner of a rectangular object
6) If you want to maintain the georeference of the squares/rectangulars, bring the legend layer to non-map layer, THEN bring it back as an area layer.

Now if you wish, you can add some attribute information of individual squares to those rectangular shapes (so that you can apply different graphic styles using the MAPublisher Stylesheet palette). or you can assign colours, stroke size individually :)

Please let me know if this is what you wanted to do or... you have some more interesting thing you would like to try with our grid!!

Kimi

Avenza Systems Inc.
124 Merton Street, Suite 400,
Toronto, Ontario, M4S 2Z2, Canada
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Thanks Hans, it didn't occur to me to go back into a GIS app.

Kimi, After you expand the grid, you are no longer able to use the 'Make Index' feature. How would you re-create the grid feature from your altered shapes?

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Martha.
Okay... you are correct that you cannot perform the "Make Index" feature any more after expanding the grid. However, I send my note to our programmers about this as a feature request so that you might create irregular shape grids with MAPublisher in the future. :D

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or request for our products! We will be very happy to hear from you!

Kimi

......................... ......................... .......
Avenza Systems Inc.

support@avenza.com
......................... ......................... .......

Avenza Systems Inc.
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->