• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other "ing's")
  • United States

ArcGIS 9.3 just arrived on my desk! Should I install it or wait a week and see what happens? One half of me wants to be an "early adopter", the other half doesn't want to be a guinea pig. Then there are the time-loss issues and the inevitable install bugs that will take more time. Torn, but excited! :unsure:

Kevin
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

ArcGIS 9.3 just arrived on my desk! Should I install it or wait a week and see what happens? One half of me wants to be an "early adopter", the other half doesn't want to be a guinea pig. Then there are the time-loss issues and the inevitable install bugs that will take more time. Torn, but excited! :unsure:

Kevin

I've been burned hard by early adoption before with Arc, so I usually wait about 6 months...

Looks like there are some cool improvements, but nothing that would completely revamp my workflows... that I know of now at least.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Probably best to wait a bit or try your workflow on a test box - if you have "mission critical" work to do. ESRI has many very qualified people on its staff to test and de-bug their software and our test box has been running fine, but it's always very painful when you get burned by some esoteric operation.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

For what it's worth I ran 9.3 Release Candidate 1 for over a month with no problems, and have been running the "real" 9.3 for about a week now with no real problems. I haven't noticed any crashes or other weirdness, other than one snippet of VBA/ArcObjects code for my map atlas scripting being partially broken.

Also, I've loaded the patch for exporting GeoPDFs from 9.3, and it works pretty nice. You definitely don't want to load in too many attributes, but it is a good feature, along with being able to get the lat-long coords from anywhere in your pdf map. The GeoPDF stuff only works with Acrobat/Reader v.9, though.

ArcGIS Server 9.3 is slick as well. I had some install problems, but those were related more to my domain setup than to the software. I finally got all the permission right, after banging on it for a couple days. Being able to use REST and the javascript library (for mashups) is very easy, even for a hack such as myself. The documentation is quite good enough to get going on it, anyway.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I've been using it since beta and obviously have run across some minor bugs/errors, but worked through them in RC1 and now final is stable. I've been running final for the past few weeks with no problems. I'm also working on ESRI Press books and doing testing for our exercises in 9.3. So majority of our newer titles will be up-to-date. Look out for release info soon.

Shane

Shane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

We are using 9.3 for our GIS Server development (since we will not be finished for 6 months). Anyways, I have been running into bug after bug after bug - not just minor ones either.

For instance, IE6 can't even be used in our web application, because it locks up the browser after a few seconds. It is a known issue.

There are various bugs with GIS Server when using multiple map services in a web application, as well.

So far, I am disappointed with the usability of the Server 9.3 release. There is no way it should have been released in this state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->