5 replies to this topic

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

For the last few months my department has been working along with our permitting department to create an internet mapping application. This application (ActiveMap) was launched today and while I could not post the link here prior to today I would love to hear your feedback regarding the cartography (as this is what I worked on). Since this is a live ESRI ArcServer application and there are some requirements our customer has, feedback will not necessarily result in this map being improved. However they will help me with future intranet/internet mapping we will be doing. One known issue we are working with ESRI on is the slow initialization and slow response to some of the map loads.

The url is http://www.sonoma-co...vemap/index.htm

thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Hey Kevin,
Very nice. It looks like a ton of work over the past months.

I like how you've integrated/adopted the design of the PRMD website. The design makes the map look and feel a lot less intimidating and user-friendly. Well done.

Overall the base map looks great. If anything, I wish the line features were more generalized at smaller scales. This seems to be an issue with most interactive maps! At the full-extent both the features and the styles appear much heavier and/or detailed than they need to be. A case of too much information. As you zoom in and the scale gets larger, the line styles and line detail starts to come together and make more visual sense, at least to me.

The layer descriptions tab is super useful...actually all of the additional tabs are impressive. You might want to add some text that says "Click here to save your file" after the print export runs. As is, it's hard to figure out where to retrieve your file. I was looking for another floating palette. Did you design the print feature? I wish every interactive map had one of those!

One potential issue:
In Firefox I was seeing some weird alignment issues with the menu buttons in the main navigation bar at the top. See image here It seemed to happen when I zoomed in on the map and adjusted the size of the browser window. Look at the Pan and the Zoom last buttons. It worked perfectly in IE.

Erin

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Kevin,

Looking from a GIS background - I don't have a problem at all with the design of the map and interface. It was easy to use and though a little slow to load on a DSL connection, not too bad (except for the aerials, but that was expected). The only problem I had (since I am working on a project at the Sea Ranch and the coast line is an issue with the maps I am making at the moment) was with the coast line. It's awfully off. Is there another layer you could use that's "better".

Other than that, I didn't see anything else that warranted comment. But then again, I only looked for a little bit.

Great job!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

Thank you Erin and Esther for your feedback. Each of you brought up some questions that I wanted to address.

Erin, Thank you for the feedback on the line features. The lines at full scale vs the lines at the larger scale are from the same source. This explains the reason they are not generalized. I see your point, but do not know what the solution will be at this point. This is definitely something I have made a note of to look at for future versions. Regarding the print tool We did not design it, but rather downloaded it from ESRI (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=15022). It was designed by ESRI staff. The Firefox issue is known and we are working on a fix for it for our first service pack which is due out in the August/September timeframe.

Esther, the county outline in use on ActiveMap is based upon the parcel layer, which explains some of the issues. This decision was made because as it is designed for the permitting process most of the other layers are also parcel based and we wanted them to match up.

thanks again,

Kevin
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

Nicely done!

I haven't dove to deeply into it, but here is an initial feedback:

1- I really like the loading graphic. Most people who put together these online maps don't understand the aesthetic of this simple thing. I can send you to ten online maps that have ten different purposes, ten different looks, yet they all have the same boring default loading graphic. It really does make a difference.

2. The idea of showing all the info the belongs to a specific parcel in the way you do is nice, but there's far too many fields to scroll horizontally. (Also, you don't need the last field "ESRI shape". Of course its a polygon.)

Have you thought of trying to let them be vertical or in a popup?

I'll have more when I have the time to explore more.

I really like the color scheme, though.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Erin, Thank you for the feedback on the line features. The lines at full scale vs the lines at the larger scale are from the same source. This explains the reason they are not generalized. I see your point, but do not know what the solution will be at this point. This is definitely something I have made a note of to look at for future versions. Regarding the print tool We did not design it, but rather downloaded it from ESRI (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=15022). It was designed by ESRI staff. The Firefox issue is known and we are working on a fix for it for our first service pack which is due out in the August/September timeframe.

thanks again,

Kevin

Kevin,
Glad to help! You could always send an email to Babs Buttonfield at the University of Colorado or maybe Aileen Buckeley at ESRI and see what suggestions/recommened readings they have before you start working on the next edition. I believe they both research this kind of thing.

Anyways, great map. It's in my 'favorites' bookmarks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->