david17tym

david17tym

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United Kingdom

Good afternoon all,

I've only recently started using Manifold and am encountering a problem when exporting a drawing to shapefile.

I'm using Manifold 8 and ArcGIS 9.1

Here's my workflow:

1. Load WGS84 SRTM DEM grid into ArcMap
2. Export roughly 2 degree x 1 degree extent I need to new grid, maintaining input spatial info
3. Convert from raster to ascii
4. Import ascii as surface into Manifold (assign projection to Latitude / Longitude)
Onscreen, cursor position reads correct latitude and longitude
5. Create streams drawing using surface tool extension
6. Create quick map to check streams against DEM, all OK
6. Export streams drawing to shapefile

All straightforward I thought, but checking the shapefile's spatial extent, it now reads:

In projected or local coordinates
Left: -0.500000
Right: 2366.500000
Top: 1317.500000
Bottom: -0.500000

Apologies if this is an "amateur" mistake I'm making, but I can't see where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for your time,

Dave

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Before exporting to SHP file you will need to use Change Projection on the streams and change Local offset to 0,0 and Local scale to 1,1. Do not use Assign Projection to make these changes as your projection will be completely screwed up.

The Streams drawing inherits the local offset/scale from the Surface component, but when exporting to SHP those values are not able to be correctly assigned in ArcXXX.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

david17tym

david17tym

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United Kingdom

Many thanks Brian for the quick reply, all now works as expected.

Once again CartoTalk proves a great resource.

Have a great day.

Cheers,

Dave

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

You're welcome.

Have you used ESRI tools previously (Spatial Analyst?) to generate Watersheds/Streams? I'm interested in a comparison of performance of ESRI tools, which I don't have access to, with Manifold's Surface tools. Some of the DEMs I work with can take a couple of hours to generate.

I'm excited by the thought of using CUDA enabled Manifold Surface Tools if and when Manifold decide to introduce it - hours would turn into minutes in theory.

Cheers,

Brian

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

david17tym

david17tym

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Brian,

A little background:

I use Workstation ArcINFO and Spatial Analyst at work, but we use RiverTools to create streams and watersheds.

I'm currently using Manifold at home on some freelance work while on holiday (although I've got my spare eye on Wimbledon as we speak).

I'm running an old XP32 laptop, so I don't think any speed comparisons would be that helpful....

I'm in the testing phase of the project at the moment and am getting a little concerned about the processing times on relatively small chunks of the data, so your comment about "CUDA enabled surface tools" is very interesting.

I think for now though I'm going to have to upgrade my hardware/os and manifold and hope yet to make some beer money....

Dave

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Dave:

OT: I'm at work, but checking Andy Murray's score - not looking good - via BBC Sports website updates. :(

You are right about Manifold being memory hungry - you do need a fairly powerful machine with a lot of RAM to get the best out of it. I've got a decent 64-bit home machine with CUDA enabled nVidia card - I just need to get rid of Vista 32-bit and install either XP 64 or Windows Server 2008 as the OS. I should then have a decent system to test out the new release of Manifold and the new CUDA enhancements when it comes out later in the year.

I'll be sure to post my findings here when I've completed my testing.

Hi Brian,

A little background:

I use Workstation ArcINFO and Spatial Analyst at work, but we use RiverTools to create streams and watersheds.

I'm currently using Manifold at home on some freelance work while on holiday (although I've got my spare eye on Wimbledon as we speak).

I'm running an old XP32 laptop, so I don't think any speed comparisons would be that helpful....

I'm in the testing phase of the project at the moment and am getting a little concerned about the processing times on relatively small chunks of the data, so your comment about "CUDA enabled surface tools" is very interesting.

I think for now though I'm going to have to upgrade my hardware/os and manifold and hope yet to make some beer money....

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->