5 replies to this topic

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

Hello there all. I'm new to the forums, so hopefully you can forgive any transgression that I may mistakenly commit (I believe strongly in internet ettiquite). All I can say is what a great resource you folks have developed here!

But regardless, here is the situation. I'm designing a map of the Northeastern States based upon a shaded relief map obtained from the internet. The final product will display state lines, a border, and shaded relief based upon elevation. All goes well in Illustrator CS3 until I attempt to clip the map to my area of interest: the mainland clips just fine, but I will lose jpeg information for any of the islands on the map. Since it is my opinion that Long Island is a pretty important land mass, I'm trying to find a work around for this.

I figured that I drop each Island into a unique layer in Illustrator, bring the whole thing into Photoshop, and then clip the area in question to each individual island. Then place the resulting jpeg on "top" of the original in Illustrator, and there we are! Here is the problem: when creating the clipping mask in Photoshop, it only seems to clip the pixels on the relief that intersect with the mask (instead of clipping in the manner I am used to in Illustrator!).

Does anyone have any solutions? I'm rather new at photoshop, but I figured that the theory of clipping would remain the same between the programs!

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

Hmm. Instead of trying to find a work around, it might be better to understand more of why you're losing the islands in the first place. I'm not really sure what you mean by "I will lose any jpg information." What do your objects consist of? How are you applying the clipping mask? Something in there is causing the islands to disappear, you just need to find it! :)

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

clipping masks in Illy only affect the paths that it is applied on, and can not span multiple layers. You might want to look into crop areas in Illy CS3. As with Adam, I am unsure what you mean in your explanation...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

Hmm. Instead of trying to find a work around, it might be better to understand more of why you're losing the islands in the first place. I'm not really sure what you mean by "I will lose any jpg information." What do your objects consist of? How are you applying the clipping mask? Something in there is causing the islands to disappear, you just need to find it! :)

Perhaps I should have been more specific (which is my fault, to be sure). My goal is to have the states floating against a white background, with shaded relief displayed for the landmass but not for the ocean floors. Traditionally, I would accomplish my work in Illustrator - place the jpeg relief on the bottom layer, the island coastline above this layer, and the state borders/coastlines in a layer above (all as a single line). This layer is copied and pasted into the jpeg layer, and finally clipped to the jpeg layer. You end up with a result that will look the upload file here. No good.

Normally, the quick and dirty solution would be to load in a copy of the relief file and clip it to each individual island in question. However, the relief mentioned here is big (read huge) and my computer simply does not have enough memory to accomplish such a task. So I've attempted to turn to Photoshop to do the same thing, with the only difference that I can flatten the multiple clipped shaded reliefs described above into a single output file. This new jpeg could be imported into illustrator, placed above the original shaded relief layer, and viola! My problem would be solved.

I've been encountering some wierd clipping issues in photoshop (described in the previous post). After messing around with the files, I realized that the solution might possibly be to edit the image in photoshop (so it is not so huge), bring it into illustrator, and try the quick and dirty solution outlined in the previous paragraph, export it into photoshop , flatten it, and then bring the final version back into illustrator so the file size of the final EPS is managable. Does this seem convoluted to anyone out there, or is there there a more efficient way of accomplishing this end? Please note that I am EXTREMELY new at Photoshop, and to my vector way of thinking most Raster editing is magical and confusing (to say the least).

Attached Files

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

You need to use both your mainland coastline and the island coastlines for your clipping mask. Copy all of these objects to your relief layer. Select all coastlines (both mainland and islands) and make a compound path out of them (Object> Compound Path> Make). Now you can select the compound path and the relief, and make your clipping mask.

Martha

The Doomed Mapper

The Doomed Mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

Hi,

You need to use both your mainland coastline and the island coastlines for your clipping mask. Copy all of these objects to your relief layer. Select all coastlines (both mainland and islands) and make a compound path out of them (Object> Compound Path> Make). Now you can select the compound path and the relief, and make your clipping mask.

Martha

I KNEW there had to be an easier workaround than what I was proposing. (The whole time, I kept wondering to myself, dear lord, there must be an easier way than all this). I've had almost no experience working with compound paths that were not adjacent area fills, which explains why this particular solution eluded me. This has given me much to think on!

Thank you very much!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->