Rusty

Rusty

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Hello All,
Don't know if this falls under cartography, still maybe somebodies some input to creating key maps or map books. There's a free extension for ArcGIS called DSMapbook but we purchased another from Maplogic that does lots more..just now learning to use it and wanted to know if there's any good examples of layouts so I can create a good template. I'm going to use the pipelines to create the grids from, don't a bunch of empty polygons...

Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks,
Rusty

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hello All,
Don't know if this falls under cartography, still maybe somebodies some input to creating key maps or map books. There's a free extension for ArcGIS called DSMapbook but we purchased another from Maplogic that does lots more..just now learning to use it and wanted to know if there's any good examples of layouts so I can create a good template. I'm going to use the pipelines to create the grids from, don't a bunch of empty polygons...

Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks,
Rusty

Rusty,
I've been using Maplogic pro along with ArcEditor 9.2 to create digital atlas products for the past year. It's fairly straightforward and the results are great. I can't share any of my templates with you, but creating your own is half the fun, and really, just keep it simple. Where are these maps going? Online? CD-ROM? Print? If you've never created a template, I recommend browsing the Arcmap templates just to get an idea of your options. You can also use a drawing program such as Illustrator to create custom legends, borders, markers, images, that you can simply place into your layout along with maplogic elements.

Yes, a great way to create a grid is to first figure out your page size and reference scale and then have Maplogic generate a grid based on your primary layer (in your case, pipelines). This method ensures that you don't end up with empty pages. Feel free to ask if you have specific questions.

Simon

Simon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

I use DSMapbook a fair bit - Its great when I have to produce >20 maps as it automates the process for me - zooms to features in a layer, changes titles for me, changes drawing numbers, etc.

I am interested by Maplogic - had a look at the website but cant see why it would be better than DSMapbook. Please do tell.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

There's also NW Mapbook (free!) and MPS Atlas (part of the PLTS from ESRI -$$$) that are extensions to ArcGIS.

I haven't used either MPS Atlas or Maplogic and been able to get my rudimentary needs met with the free extensions. It would be interesting to see a comparison of Maplogic's functionality compared to the others.

I'll bet a lot of the code does the same things.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Susan

Susan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

I recently evaluated ESRI's MPS-atlas extension (component of PLTS) for my organization.

My organization has been using Mapbook (free) for years, but find it to be quite limited and time consuming to create the outcome we wanted for a lot of our projects, especially when we need to create a more complicated map series (1000 maps with custom charts etc)

This drew us to evaluate ESRI's product MPS-atlas.

I have attached some notes I took (comparing it to Mapbook). If you are interested, see the following link to view presentation slides from ESRI's san diego conference this year regarding this extension.

http://www.cica.es/P.../tws/tw_625.pdf

Hope this helps,

Susan

Attached Files

Rusty

Rusty

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

thanks everybody for your responces..still plugging along with Maplogic layout MGR and have requested an eval. copy of PLTS to try out...thanks for your notes Susan...

Rusty

Simon

Simon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

I recently evaluated ESRI's MPS-atlas extension (component of PLTS) for my organization.

Thanks Susan, this is also very useful for me.

Bill

Bill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I too have been using DS MapBook for over a year now but have been looking for similar, but more capable Map Book applications. I need to produce Map Book Series for our BLM Oil & Gas Lease Sale parcels so our Land Use Planning and Natural Resource Managers can review the proposed parcels to identify any land use or reosurce use conflicts before the parcels go to sale.

The Map Book page sheets must span the entire state of Colorado, yet they must be scaled around groups of sale parcels and displayed at a scale that shows very detailed roads, streams, and other geographic features that are adequate to facilitate a thorough review by our staff.

DS Map Book worked quite well since it would let me start out with my standard 1:1000,000 grid for the state and then generate gid polygons for ONLY the 100k grids that contained polygon features from the Lease Sale parcel shapefile, but it would also allow me to start and editing session and manually move or re-position the grid polygons that were created by DS MapBook around groups of sale parcels to get the "best fit" without losing any of them. The best thing it did though, was re-scale the map sheets so I wouldn't have a 1/4 acre parcel displayed at a scale of 100k which made it very difficult to see and didn't show enough detail for the reviewers. All in all, it worked pretty well but I had problems with stability where it would suddenly quit working and wouldn't allow me to navigte from one sheet to the next. It also wouldn't allow me to use a new field to label the map sheets and defaulted to a cryptic 100k index identifier, so I started looking for something better.

I first looked at Mainstreet, but it didn't offer some of the "Enterprise" capabilities we would need. I then looked at Map Logic Layout Manager which seemed better, but it is a bit expensive and would have to be tested and blessed by our configuration management group before I would be able to laod and use it.

So I'm looking hard at MPS Atlas and assisting in the testing to get it approved for use, but have run into spome snags that are probably related to configuration or permissions since they loaded just for me to use for testing.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used MPS Atlas to find out if it will do the things that DS Mapbook did for me as I described above. First, it doesn't appear to support shapefiles for use as grids and you must create geodatabase versions if you want to use your own grids. Secondly, even though it allows you to use a "Selection" to eliminate grid areas that don't contain the AOI features, it doesn't seem to have a way to move or tweak those grids to place them around groups of features.It also doesn't seem to the ability to re-scale the view to adjust when I only have one, 1/4 acre parcel in a 100k grid area and I want it to automatically zoom to display the best viewing area around the parcel.

If this capability isn't available in MPS Atlas, is it available in Map Logic Layout Manager or any of the others including Mainstreet or NW ?

I would prefer to use the ESRI products that are supported, but I need certain capabilities to make it useful and would be hesitant but willing to go elsewhere.

Please feel free to e-mail me directly at bkendall@blm.gov or you can even call 303-239-3649 and I'll be happy to discuss it with you. as long as you're not a sales person and have some real user knowledge to share.

GISential

GISential

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello DS Mapbook users.
Has anyone gotten this extension to work with XP 64 bit?
I am using 9.1 and I cannot get the extension to show up in the dropdown to enable it to be turned on.

Thanks for any help.

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->