3 replies to this topic

Bjorn

Bjorn

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Norway

I need a verification on symbol scaling. Since I'm making my own Thematic Mapping Engine, I need to understand the math behind proportional symbol calculations.

I'm having both 2D (circle/square) and 3D objects (sphere/cube) that should be proportional to a statistical value. I'm using area to scale 2D symbols and volume for 3D objects. I also want to scale irregular 3D objects like humans and mobile phones...

Originally, I thought I would need different equations for different geometric shapes, and my book in cartography gave me the same impression.

But after seeing this article, I asked a math genius if it could be done in an easier way.

So now I only have two equations; one for area calculation and one for volume calculation (max size of a symbol/object is known - it's just a scale factor):

Area: scale = maxScale * sqrt(value/maxValue)
Using square root: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Square_root

Volume: scale = maxScale * pow(value/maxValue, 1/3)
Using cube root: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_root

Still, I'm not sure if life is so easy... anyone who can verify if this is the case?

Bjorn

Ps! I should probably know this after 20 years in school, but math was not my favorite subject...

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Bjorn,

Both statements are true :) Though I'd use slightly different words to describe it...

So to calculate the symbol's size in relation to the maxSymbolSize you do:

anySymbolSize = power(value/maxValue; 1/2) for areas
anySymbolSize = power(value/maxValue; 1/3) for volumes

As you see in both cases you're dealing with a percentage of the biggest symbol and therefore the biggest size of the symbol is always 1. And here you incorporate the maxSymbolSize to scale symbols again for the presentation, so:

anySymbolSize = maxSymbolSize * power(value/maxValue; 1/2) for areas
anySymbolSize = maxSymbolSize * power(value/maxValue; 1/3) for volumes

Hope this makes it a bit easier to understand :ph34r:
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Bjorn

Bjorn

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Norway

Thanks mika!

I've just published a proportional symbol tutorial:

Proportional symbols in three dimensions

Bjorn

john789

john789

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Since I'm making my own Thematic Mapping Engine, I need to understand the math behind proportional symbol calculations. Originally, I thought I would need different equations for different geometric shapes, and my book in cartography gave me the same impression.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->