4 replies to this topic

Simon

Simon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

Stumbled across this forum and was really impressed - registered and bookmarked, ill be heading back a fair bit.

Been a GIS Consultant for coming on 5 years now, working in Environmental Consultancy over in jolly old England. Problem with consultancy (as argued on James Fee's blog) is that often in consultancy, time is money and sometimes, especially if I have >20 maps to be drawing within a morning (which I then often use scripts to automate generation of the maps), im not often able to put as much time into making the maps as beautiful as poss, so long as the data is shown accurately and correctly - which, to be fair, is kind of the point when delivering data to clients. For example when we produce flood maps for a client, they dont want to be paying us extra money to produce maps that maybe very pleasing to the eye, they just want to see the extents of the flooding on the correct base-mapping.

Another thing that can be restrictive in consultancy is map templates - companies often have map templates that need to be stuck too, so again apologies if some of the maps in my portfolio appear weak compared to some of the amazing maps Ive seen on here.

Anyway, enough ranting. Im now more of a GIS developer, looking at code instead of maps, but its still enjoyable and I still often have to do map requests. Again, im beginning to do more work with web mapping (ArcGIS Server in particular) and trying to advanvce my skills there and linking to services such as PostGIS, Mapserver, Google, Virtual Maps - just need more time........

(again I apologise for the following websites deisgn - just a google pages mock up, want to convert it to flash at some point)
My Portfolio

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

As long as your customers are happy with a snapshot of data on a chosen base map it's fine isn't it? Not everyone needs a well designed map, although, while a good map is much easier to read, understand and work with, it is also much more expensive to produce...
So sometimes it's good to find a compromise between cartographic quality and a speedy map production process by establishing some sort of in house procedures to make your maps at least cartographically 'correct', as in many cases they don't have to be beauty ;)

dom

ps. there is some typos on your website... correcting them might help too ;)

<title>SimonJacksonPortfolio - Simon Jackson - GIS Analyst/Devloper</title>
<h1 id="page-title">...Simon Jackson - GIS Analyst/Devloper...</h1>
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Simon

Simon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

yea, that portfolio needs a bit of tidying - like I said, would be nice to find some time to translate it over to a flashy flash site. Thanks for typos, will change sometime soon.

Realised after posting this thread, that there is a separate category for Introductions - apologies, feel free to move this if need be.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

yea, that portfolio needs a bit of tidying - like I said, would be nice to find some time to translate it over to a flashy flash site. Thanks for typos, will change sometime soon.

Realised after posting this thread, that there is a separate category for Introductions - apologies, feel free to move this if need be.

Welcome to the forum Simon! I actually like the "blog portfolio" concept. You could do a little tidying up, but beyond that it works. I've never been a huge fan of Flash websites...all "Flash" no content!

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Simon,

I too work in ArcMap and a lot of my maps are not very pretty. Very impressive work though!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->