Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Statistics
  • Indonesia

Dear all,

Please give a sugestion and correction for my map design. This map for describe survei area in Sumatera, Kalimantan, Java, Bali and Nusatenggara, Sulawesi, Maluku and Irian Jaya. The responden is LPG Filing plant location, transporter, etc. And the map for a part of Survey Project Proposal. There is no data for location of responden, so this map only show area of survey.

Title : Survey of LPG Safety Handling in Indonesia
Authors : Hermawan
Software : Illustrator, ArcGIS
Url :http://hsadik.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/upload/SFDttAoKCGMAAAw@CsY1

Thanks

Hermawan US

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Hermawan,

Nice looking map!

At first glance, I'd say make the country/region names contrast a bit more with the greenish fill color of the countries. Maybe this contrast is more pronounced in the full-sized version, but it kinda blends into the same color in the small versions you posted. Also, I'd make the legend a bit more prominent and maybe move it to a position in the lower left corner of the map, above the scale bar. You have a nice empty area of sea there that you can place it in.

Is there any reason why some of the areas (SUMATERA, JAWA) are in uppercase, some are in title case (Irian Jaya) and some are in lowercase (kalimantan, sulawesi)?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Indonesia

At first glance, I'd say make the country/region names contrast a bit more with the greenish fill color of the countries. Maybe this contrast is more pronounced in the full-sized version, but it kinda blends into the same color in the small versions you posted. Also, I'd make the legend a bit more prominent and maybe move it to a position in the lower left corner of the map, above the scale bar. You have a nice empty area of sea there that you can place it in.

Thanks, Hans. I have edit the layout and make a contrast of country/region names with fill colour of map. Actually, there is no speciall case with SUMATRA, JAWA, that's a mistake of text case. Thanks for attention. Here I must be more attention to detail.

Hermawan

Attached Files

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Hermawan, Looks good - simple enough.

The colors are a bit different than what I would choose but in its own way it works to bring focus to the areas of concern.
Hans hit the nail on the head re: text issues.

If you wanted to complete the map, add ocean/sea names and make the map key/legend more prominent. Possibly add a nice border.

Good luck!

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

For me the drop shadows on the text along with the gradients are a big distraction. Almost to the point where I can't read them, maybe it is just the low res file that I am seeing.

I'm not sure what the large arrows are for, are these point data (survey area) or areal? I'm a little confused.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

When I'm looking at the islands my first initial reaction was that they were lakes & the text was somehow smudged out.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Nice map. good scale and extent to show this area of the world.

The country names look smudged or blurred to me. I really thought there was some finger prints on my screen. It could be the small size of the map and maybe on a bigger map it will be ok? but I'd drop that radial gradient of the country and island labels for a solid fill. the subtle drop shadow looks good on the text though. also, the Indonesian island labels should have a different style to differentiate them from the country labels. i'd play with the sizing and orientation of the labels. Sumatra can definitely be bigger and oriented to follow the angle and curvature of the island.

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Indonesia

Nice map. good scale and extent to show this area of the world.

The country names look smudged or blurred to me. I really thought there was some finger prints on my screen. It could be the small size of the map and maybe on a bigger map it will be ok? but I'd drop that radial gradient of the country and island labels for a solid fill. the subtle drop shadow looks good on the text though. also, the Indonesian island labels should have a different style to differentiate them from the country labels. i'd play with the sizing and orientation of the labels. Sumatra can definitely be bigger and oriented to follow the angle and curvature of the island.

Dear all,

Her, may last effort to edit my design. I have think with all of any sugestion and comment. Acctually, I want to design a simple map, but all your sugest make my map better than before.

And, this a last editing map, cause of my file *.ai has damage :(( I must redesign again.

Thanks.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->