• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello,

Here's my second map for a book on the Nez Perce War of 1877 that was faught in the Rockys and high plains. Details of the battle and time frame will be explained in the book, and the author asked me to keep them off the map. What you see is what he requested be on the map. Of course it is my creative design so any input on that aspect will be appreciated. I try to keep my maps austere and communicative.

I look forward to the comments, they were a great help on my Bear's Paw map.

Thanks,

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hello...once again, nice, clear map! I am including a couple of really, really, really small comments:
  • The Nez Perce Movement arrow in the legend doesn't seem to match the arrows on the map. The dashes are shorter in the legend
  • A couple of the US Rifle Pits go over the line delineating between uplands and floodplain, while this is not a "cliff", it may be better to scoot them back a bit.

Like I said: small comments. Excellent Map!

Michael.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I agree, another gorgeous map. Very minor point, on the digital image, it's a little hard to distinguish the legend symbol for the Willow Thicket/Marsh. I'm not sure it's needed. Other than that, it looks great.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Thanks for the comments. I had adjusted those rifle pits for the army immediately after I posted this map. I had hap-hazardously thrown them in there and forgot to adjust them. However, I didn't notice that my symbology didn't match my legend. Not sure how my legend got scaled.

Esther I have noticed that as well (willows), and I hate having 7 (odd number) symbols with a double column legend. I most likely will end up just labeling the marsh/thicket and leaving the symbology offf the legend.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I really like the consistency between this map and Bear's Paw. What you changed with the rivers, figure ground problem, and formatting the legend looks awesome.

- I think someone said this but the symbol for heavy engagement does not match map/key

- I def. agree that you should take the marsh out of the key - the labels for the other terrain features are on the map. Putting a similar label for the marsh might make it hard to read so maybe you'll need to end up leaving it as is.

How many maps do we have to look forward too?

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I really like the consistency between this map and Bear's Paw. What you changed with the rivers, figure ground problem, and formatting the legend looks awesome.

- I think someone said this but the symbol for heavy engagement does not match map/key

- I def. agree that you should take the marsh out of the key - the labels for the other terrain features are on the map. Putting a similar label for the marsh might make it hard to read so maybe you'll need to end up leaving it as is.

How many maps do we have to look forward too?

Hey Justin,

No I missed the engagement. That is the second mistake on the legend. It's all from the fact I copy and pasted from my other map (Bear's Paw). Always good to have fresh eyes.

Currently my project is 7 maps, but I meet with the client today, and I want to talk him into 2 frontispieces. Based on the maps he showed me, I don't think that he realizes there is an artistic side to cartography.

kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->