18 replies to this topic

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

I find it hard to believe that anyone in the cartographic community--or certainly anyone at NACIS--would seriously propose to define maps so narrowly that birds-eye views are excluded, or that they would use the words right, wrong, good, or bad. except as some sort of abstract philosophical exercise. So I would encourage you to take that chip off your shoulder.

Me too, Dennis....me too. But yet that is what was being talked about in the peanut gallery during one particular session in Madison, and something Nat had to listen to me vent about for an hour or two on that car-ride home. We've had this conversation before though, so no need to re-hash all that unpleasantness.

I do sometimes take those conversations and assertions a little too personally though (AKA place a few chips on my shoulder). However, during my entire mapping career since 1994, I have periodically heard "you don't belong here." I've gotten it from the "artist" side of things...I've gotten it from the "cartographer" side of things....I've even gotten it from the "suits" as well. Meanwhile, our firm has grown over 3000% since 2002...which tells me that there is a strong demand for the services we provide (and a need in the marketplace for alternative points of view besides traditional planemetric design or the current "Google-fication" which is occurring on a lot of campuses as well). I figure our best argument or course of action is to continue to grow and hopefully prosper! However, my MAIN goal is to simply try and make a positive difference...more-so than cashing checks. SO many people out there have been ignored related to map design and wayfinding in the past, related to personal navigational preferences, that if I can have any part in helping to give those people more of a voice and better resources/services for their specific needs, it's worth occasionally getting into hot water with a few of my colleagues.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

so was this whole thread started just to get some rants out of derek, and to check that he was awake/alive (I don't think you have posted that much lately).

:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Hey Hugo!

Yeah, I've been "MIA" for the past several weeks. Between one daughter having pneumonia, another daughter having minor surgery (Wednesday) and helping my mom relocate 3+ hours after she and my father divorced after 37 years of marriage, it's all I can do just to read all the new threads/posts in here...much less post. Start talking about campus map design though, as well as have a few cartographers snicker about "North" not being on top of an illustration, and I just can't resist. :P
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

No problem, and I hope that things are working out around you!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->