• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Attached is a map about the battle of Bear's Paw, faught during the Nez Perce Indian War in 1877. This map is one of many that I am doing for a client who has written a book about the war. This map is a time series map which covers an entire day of fighting that will be explained in the text. Furthermore, there is a frontispiece at the beginning of the book that explains the location (hence no locational inset).
I've used Mesquite and Georgia (popular with cartotalk) fonts to try and convey a feeling with the map. I would be open to any other suggestions to convey an 1877 feel.
The thing most important in the VH are the elevation change, army routes, Nez Perce warrior routes, and the Snake Creek. Everything else I hope fades into the background.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, and the harsher the better.
Programs used for this map are ArcMap 9.2 and Illy cs3.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Excellent start. Its is a clean and tidy representation.

My main issues are to increase line thickness of trails, maybe even used tapered paths, and the lowlands could use a texture or even better, a symbol of forests, main rivers, or encampments (if any) - as is it could 1st appear as open water.

Also, I am intrigued by the Nez Perce horse symbol, but it may be more straightforward to use a more standard horse silhouette.

Google '1877 font' might lead you to some other options. I do like the serif labels though.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would like to see some indication in the map as to how the battle progressed, unless that's sufficiently covered in the text.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Great, clean map...I like it! A few suggestions:

• At first glance, I thought that the gray symbolized land and the white symbolized water...just a thought.
  • The arrows representing Nez Perce and Army movements could be distinguished a bit better. A little hard to tell between the two.
  • I like the horse symbols :)
  • Need to somehow distinguish between the uplands and lowlands a bit better. I am not getting the sense that the white area is higher in elevation than the gray area.
  • Maybe change the gun symbol to a profile view instead of a top view, it would be easier for the reader to determine that it is a cannon.

Overall a great map for a book with narrative...nice work!

Hope this helps,
Michael.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Kru,

Very nice looking map.

I agree with the point about the land vs. water error. That's what I first thought too. Maybe switch the colors for upload vs lowland and then add some grassy texture to the lowlands?

I thought the horses were hyenas, I agree with going with a more traditional horse silhouette.

I wasn't confused with the cannon symbol, I like it the way it is.

Overall a very nice map, good work!

Esther
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • United States

Very nice and what an interesting subject to map!
Not much to add to what's been said here already.

* Is the creek just a thin line at this scale? It would be cool if you could make it a polygon, if appropriate and if you have the data.
* It took me a bit of looking before I realized the dashed lines for the Nez Perce and the Army were different. The black/dark gray are also pretty similar. Maybe you could make them more different (without making the difference look like a quantitative one?)? I know you're limited when designing for black and white printing. Maybe you could do hollow rectangles for one side and black for the other? And larger matching arrow heads?
* Are the horse symbols based on Nez Perce drawings or symbols of horses?

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

The land / water issue might only be an issue for us here as we don't have the benefit of context. Readers of the book, knowing that the battle took place in Montana, might not have the same confusion. The figure ground distinction reads okay for me as highland lowland.

The differences in gray tone in the US Army battalions and the Nez Perce Warrior symbols is very slight on screen, and may disappear all together in print, depending on the lpi screen used in printing. Same goes with the slightly different dash patterns. Also, the orientation of the wide bar of the warrior symbol makes me want to relate that to some sort of battle formation, which may or may not be appropriate.

You said that this map represents one day of fighting. Perhaps you should put that date in the title of the map? Maybe even put time's next to the "heavy engagement" symbols so that the sequence of events is more evident.

Looks good, I hope you're able to share other maps from this series!

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello all, and thanks for the comments. The land/water issue was a problem for me as well since 95% of my maps are rendered with grey representing water. I've tried several different techniques (patterns, DEM/hillshades, etc...)to try to solve this issue and have come to the conclusion that reducing the contrast works best. At least in my opinion. Furthermore, I added text right in the way of eye-train to help clarify.

Thanks for pointing out the similarities of the dashed patterns. I did beef-up the line weight to .75, but I won't go beyond that.

The date and time issue (or lack of) is a client issue, he has about 15 pages of text to explain this thoroughly.

The position of the warriors really represent riffle pits dug in on the bluffs (so that symbology may change altogether). There wasn't too much movement as they were the defenders.

Thanks again for the comments, and keep them coming. This is work in progress.
kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

One thing to consider is the name. In Montana it is called Bear Paw, not Bear's Paw.

http://www.friendsne...le-Bear-Paw.htm

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

One thing to consider is the name. In Montana it is called Bear Paw, not Bear's Paw.

http://www.friendsne...le-Bear-Paw.htm

Thanks, I've seen it both ways, so that will just have to be a client decision. At least you reminded me to write it down in my notebook of questions to ask on the next visit.

kru
Strabo 22AD

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Hello all, and thanks for the comments. The land/water issue was a problem for me as well since 95% of my maps are rendered with grey representing water. I've tried several different techniques (patterns, DEM/hillshades, etc...)to try to solve this issue and have come to the conclusion that reducing the contrast works best. At least in my opinion. Furthermore, I added text right in the way of eye-train to help clarify.

Thanks for pointing out the similarities of the dashed patterns. I did beef-up the line weight to .75, but I won't go beyond that.

The date and time issue (or lack of) is a client issue, he has about 15 pages of text to explain this thoroughly.

The position of the warriors really represent riffle pits dug in on the bluffs (so that symbology may change altogether). There wasn't too much movement as they were the defenders.

Thanks again for the comments, and keep them coming. This is work in progress.
kru

As you point out, I still get have a major figure ground problem looking at this map.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • United States

Much better! I don't have a problem with the figure/ground. The difference in the dashed lines helps a lot in quickly picking out Nez Perce vs. Army. The horse symbol is cool, but I can see why it looks like a hyena. Maybe you could add a black outline along the back and back of the neck? Would it be better to label the camp and horse herds directly on the map, since there seems to be only 1 instance of each (or multiple close instances?)?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

A cool map so far. A few things...

The key seems randomly organized. Try two or more columns or at least sort the elements so that similar ones are next to each other. I don't like how it covers up part of the movement line.

Can you use symbols instead of just text for the army units?

I'd like to see a more historical looking scale and north arrow, and move the scale to the bottom right. They two elements are too close to one another too. I'd prefer to put one of them in an opposite corner for balance.

The new texture looks great. Problem fixed.

Maybe, make the text for the US army groups the same black color as the symbol, and the warrior group text the same as its symbol.

Regards,

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I think the hachures may be accentuating the figure-ground problem. If you look at hand-drawn (or engraved) hachures, there's an irregularity to them that describes the hill in question. Kind of a sensual effect, actually, when done nicely. By having a completely even band of dashes, you eliminate all of that sense of texture. It coud just as easily be a boundary line.

Look at more physical texture, and consider hand-rendering instead of automated rendering: draw relief shading in photoshop (or, heck, charcoal); hand-render hachures; trace the creek as a polygon from aerials. It think this more than fiddling with contrast will give your readers a sense of the land's shape.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I think the symbol for the Nez Perce Warrior misleading... For me, the thick line symbolize a battalion or somehow an army battling in ranks. My first though when I saw the map was two armies, aligned, marching to battle.

The hash line don't give a sense of relief, even though you add "uplands" and "plains" on the map. Maybe a "contour line" on top of the hash line could do the trick.

I like the horse symbol, but maybe remove the lighter spots to make it clearer.

The snake creek line is a bit dark. It appears like a boundary or something.

Overall, I like that map. Great job!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->