benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hello all, it's been a while... hope to be active again over this summer, I have a few projects lined up involving GIS and Gmaps...

So this is probably the simplest thing, but somehow I am missing it. I downloaded the NJ county shapefiles from http://www.census.go...cob/co2000.html.

I open it in MapWindow GIS. All I want to do is re-project it to WGS1984 so that I can overlay on a Google Map (using Shape2Earth, a MapWindow plugin). But the counties come unprojected. See metadata reference here: http://www.census.go...o_metadata.html. It does mention NAD1983 but if you delve deeper you will find statements clearly saying it is "unprojected".

I have tried re-projecting the files from various starting points, but none overlay properly in Google Maps, and for that matter, with any standard projected shapefile. The closest I've gotten is a tiny speck somewhere in Maryland... if I zoom to layer on the Census county shapefile, NJ shows up. If I zoom to the projected layer, it's not even 1 pixel big.

Any ideas?

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Sheesh, I swear I spent an hour trying different combos yesterday. I guess I picked the right one today, it *was* in "North American Datum 1983" originally. So I got it.

Not sure why Census clearly states it is unprojected. Maybe I don't understand the difference between a datum and a projection?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

"All I want to do is re-project it to WGS1984"
The problem with Google Maps API java code you are limited to about two or three projections, I think WGS '84 is not one of them that you can use.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

"Unprojected" means that the data are in geographic coordinates (lat-long).
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Pat, in that case, shouldn't I have been able to re-project the shapefile into WGS1984 without pre-selecting the "existing" projection? I tried re-projecting by choosing various initial projections, including "Custom Projection"... there was no "Unprojected" option... but after re-projecting to WGS1984 and then overlaying on Google Maps, the only one that worked was when I selected "North American Datum 1983" as the pre-existing projection of the shapefile.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Pat, in that case, shouldn't I have been able to re-project the shapefile into WGS1984 without pre-selecting the "existing" projection? I tried re-projecting by choosing various initial projections, including "Custom Projection"... there was no "Unprojected" option... but after re-projecting to WGS1984 and then overlaying on Google Maps, the only one that worked was when I selected "North American Datum 1983" as the pre-existing projection of the shapefile.

"Unprojected" still doesn't tell you what datum the coordinates are for. Unprojected WGS84 lat/lon isn't the same as unprojected NAD83 lat/lon and if you move from one datum to the other, you need to know what you're starting out with.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Maybe I don't understand the difference between a datum and a projection?

This might help clarify for you:

http://www.connect.net/jbanta/FAQ.html

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Maybe I don't understand the difference between a datum and a projection?

This might help clarify for you:

http://www.connect.net/jbanta/FAQ.html

Thanks Rob, that was really helpful and informative!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->