Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

I am trying to design a recreatiopnal lake map used for fishing and I want to display contour lines from a 1:24K topographic map. I am using Illustrator to design and have GIS software but am lost as to reproduce the contour linesa in an easy, less time consuming manner than tracing. Is there an easy approach to this? Also since I am making a lake map is there any bathymetric data available? or any other way to obtain Depths of rivers and lakes? Thanks
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am trying to design a recreatiopnal lake map used for fishing and I want to display contour lines from a 1:24K topographic map. I am using Illustrator to design and have GIS software but am lost as to reproduce the contour linesa in an easy, less time consuming manner than tracing. Is there an easy approach to this? Also since I am making a lake map is there any bathymetric data available? or any other way to obtain Depths of rivers and lakes?

You could download the NED or DEM files for that area (digital elevation models) and generate your own contours from that using your GIS software. That generally takes mere minutes. What software are you using?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

I am trying to design a recreatiopnal lake map used for fishing and I want to display contour lines from a 1:24K topographic map. I am using Illustrator to design and have GIS software but am lost as to reproduce the contour linesa in an easy, less time consuming manner than tracing. Is there an easy approach to this? Also since I am making a lake map is there any bathymetric data available? or any other way to obtain Depths of rivers and lakes?

You could download the NED or DEM files for that area (digital elevation models) and generate your own contours from that using your GIS software. That generally takes mere minutes. What software are you using?

Yea, during my research, I discovered this could be done using GLobal Mapper, which I have, and then export out. I want the data to be able to line up with existing topo files also in illustrator to be able to trace section lines and etc. Thanks.
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->