3 replies to this topic

Tim

Tim

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'll introduce myself into the forums later but I've got a bit of an emergency and can't find anything useful on google.

I am plotting some points onto a map of Northern Ireland - I have the maps in Irish grid format, but the customer has supplied British National Grid points.

Does anyone know if there is a formula to convert the x and y from BNG to ING???

Thanks

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'll introduce myself into the forums later but I've got a bit of an emergency and can't find anything useful on google.

I am plotting some points onto a map of Northern Ireland - I have the maps in Irish grid format, but the customer has supplied British National Grid points.

Does anyone know if there is a formula to convert the x and y from BNG to ING???

Thanks

Tim,

I thought BNG just covered the Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales and outlying islands) and didn't include Northern Ireland? Until recently (2001) Northern Ireland was covered by the Irish Grid but has changed to the Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM) system, so the coordinates you've been provided could be in this?

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Tim

Tim

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if the British National Grid was ever officially designed to cover Northern Ireland, but it can be extended to do so and in Easting terms never actually enters negative figures.

The co-ordinates provided by the client are derived from the Royal Mail PostZon data which I am pretty sure uses BNG for the entire dataset.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if the British National Grid was ever officially designed to cover Northern Ireland, but it can be extended to do so and in Easting terms never actually enters negative figures.

The co-ordinates provided by the client are derived from the Royal Mail PostZon data which I am pretty sure uses BNG for the entire dataset.

Can you give an example of one of the postcodes and co-ordinates? I've not used PostZon data but we have access to CodePoint for the UK and I've just checked and NI postcodes are supplied in this dataset, which I hadn't realised! Anyway, the coordinates for the NI postcodes in CodePoint are Irish Grid (ITM). For example:
postcode - BT47 4SD -x= 276348, y=406390.

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->