4 replies to this topic

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

When editing in Illustrator, I tend to accidentally attach text to the nearest paths when I use the type tool, when I don't intend to . If I don't notice it right away, then my original path becomes invisible because it has been turned into an empty type-on-a-path object. Is there any way to undo the type-on-a-path and recover the original path so that it is visible again? I haven't found any obvious way to do it, but then nothing in Illustrator is obvious, at least to me.

Thanks.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I think everyone runs into this annoying problem, and I just use the (windows) key commands: ctrl-c to copy the text, ctrl-z to undo the text-on-a-path, and ctrl-v to paste into a new text box.

I don't know of any way of doing this otherwise, but even if there is, it is probably so buried in the interface that the above method is most-likely still faster.
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

go into the type with the type tool (or double-click using a select tool) and delete all text. Then select the (invisible) path with the direct or group selection tools and give the path a stroke.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

go into the type with the type tool (or double-click using a select tool) and delete all text. Then select the (invisible) path with the direct or group selection tools and give the path a stroke.

That's that I tried, but it never seemed to work. Even after giving the path a stroke, it remains hidden because Illustrator still thinks it is now text, not a path. Ultimately, I had a backup copy of the file which contained the original path, so I copied and pasted from that file to recover the path. However that was just a stroke of luck, so to speak.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Holograph,

The key here is to use the direct selection tool, and to click on the actual (invisible) path.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->