• 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We have a workflow where we take a single large Illustrator file and use InDesign to create pieces cut out of it, whether it's regular pages or little insets. My goal is to export PDFs to give to clients. Unfortunately, it looks like InDesign and Acrobat between them don't have a way to eliminate everything not actually within a given frame, resulting in bloated PDF pages and way more data to clients than I would like.

I've tried using the PDF Optimizer tool in Acrobat Professional, but I can't find a setting that trims away the fat without doing other things to the file.

The solution I've found so far is to export from InDesign as EPS's (which does crop artwork to what is actually visible) and then use Distiller to convert these to PDFs (and re-collect them if the client wants this). I suppose I could also create a new InDesign file for the EPS's, but that seems absurd. Surely I'm just missing something obvious in the PDF export or in Acrobat.

(I should also probably say I won't be able to check responses to this question until Monday night at the earliest)

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I haven't played with the new crop areas functionality in Illy CS3 very much - have you?
(you don't say what version you are on)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I discovered a non-obvious feature in Acrobat recently that seems to have a big impact on file size. In the Document menu select Examine Document...

This removes a lot hidden data, and might be worth a try.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I had this problem too. What I did was to set my document size in Illustrator exactly the size of the piece I wanted to cut out and then re-center my map to show exactly what I wanted . Saving then as a pdf, the resulting file should be exactly the size of you AI document without anything unnecessary outside of that area.

Hope it helps!

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

I would follow the way Francois sugessted. To make it easier you may create some kind of map index by selecting the relased crop area (or whatewer big rectangle you want to split into small pdf's) and using Object/Path/Split into grid. Then select single cell, make crop area and export. It could be written as an action to speed things.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I had this problem too. What I did was to set my document size in Illustrator exactly the size of the piece I wanted to cut out and then re-center my map to show exactly what I wanted . Saving then as a pdf, the resulting file should be exactly the size of you AI document without anything unnecessary outside of that area.

Hope it helps!

This is something I've tried to sort out as well. Francois - I tried you method. I've taken a large file, resized the document to something like 4 x 5 and saved it as a pdf. When opening up in Acrobat or InDesign it opens up nicely to a 4 x 5 document but if I reopen the document in Illustrator everything is there - it is not trimmed at all. The file size is the same as the original so it is not saving any space that way either. If I export the file file InDesign as an eps and open up the eps in Illustrator, then it comes out trimmed - or almost trimmed. Only those elements that appear within the pdf show up but it includes all of the parts of any overlapping elements. This is a partial solution but far too long a process to be useful when trying to produce an atlas with 100 + map pages.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I discovered a non-obvious feature in Acrobat recently that seems to have a big impact on file size. In the Document menu select Examine Document...

This removes a lot hidden data, and might be worth a try.

Great for document size, but doesn't remove off-page data.

I haven't played with the new crop areas functionality in Illy CS3 very much - have you?
(you don't say what version you are on)

I'm CS3, and I hadn't. A great way of streamlining export. I've been using frames that I use to position content in InDesign, then turn to template in Illustrator. This will save time.

But... the rest of the file is still there if you open it in AI.

OK, let me restate my problem. I have a base map I've got set up for a client who needs batches of locators. So when a batch comes in, I make locators on the master base map, then import that file into InDesign, positioning each locatorin a preset size frame. So I have one template, one master map file (with layers), and pages in InDesign. I don't want to have multiple Illustrator files (I want one file I can edit multiple locators within), and I sure don't want to have to reposition each one on a new preset page size.

My big concern is not so much with file size (though that is of course always an issue). It's how much of the underlying base map I'm essentially sending out when I send the client a locator. It's not a huge issue with this client, but I'd like to not send out the whole area of our base when I want to send a client a 4 inch square section of it.

So I guess for now the Illustrator -> InDesign -> EPS -> Acrobat route is how we'll go... I just can't believe there's no way in Acrobat to remove material off the page. That's just plain silly.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->