kpearson

kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cartography & Bouldering!
  • United States

I am just posting some of my work in the gallery. This map was created in Illustrator for downtown Mount Airy, North Carolina, which is known as Mayberry for all you old fans of the Andy Griffith Show.

Parking & Attractions Map 605KB,

Kevin

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am just posting some of my work in the gallery. This map was created in Illustrator for downtown Mount Airy, North Carolina, which is known as Mayberry for all you old fans of the Andy Griffith Show.

Looks nice, but I do have some comments:
  • The symbol sizes aren't consistent through the map
  • I think the arrows pointing off-map are a little too prominent
  • Does the greenway/walking trail really cross the river twice?
  • In the little text blurb bottom right you refer to "US-52" whereas the arrows point to "Hwy 52"

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

kpearson

kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments. Personally this map would have looked different if I had been making all the decisions, but I had to create this for a tourism board and what you see is how they wanted it to be. The trees are different sizes on purpose. The river does cross the walking trail twice. The US-52 & Hwy 52 is a mistake and you are the first out of many to find that! I wish I had posted this before the final version was sent to press! I had stared at this map so much that I had a hard time finding any errors, if you know what I mean.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the comments. Personally this map would have looked different if I had been making all the decisions, but I had to create this for a tourism board and what you see is how they wanted it to be. The trees are different sizes on purpose. The river does cross the walking trail twice. The US-52 & Hwy 52 is a mistake and you are the first out of many to find that! I wish I had posted this before the final version was sent to press! I had stared at this map so much that I had a hard time finding any errors, if you know what I mean.

I know the feeling, happens to me a lot too :) But that's what Cartotalk is for: a fresh perspective.

W.r.t. the symbols, the different tree sizes don't even bother me that much to be honest. In reality, trees aren't the same size either, so it kinda fits. I was actually referring to the rest area symbol up north and the toilets symbol downtown.
Red Geographics

kpearson

kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

I checked out your company website. Nice site. If you don't mind me asking, are you on your own or do you have alot of employees? I was curious how your process of 'checking for errors' was on the maps you make.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Netherlands

I checked out your company website. Nice site. If you don't mind me asking, are you on your own or do you have alot of employees? I was curious how your process of 'checking for errors' was on the maps you make.

It's just me :)

Most of the maps I produce are actually comissioned by clients, so they do the ultimate error-check.
Red Geographics

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Parking & Attractions Map 605KB,

Kevin

minor things:

put the labels for the trail inside of the line like you do for the rivers.
might have looked better to make the credit box and legend have the same format. maybe have the title box gray too. I'd have to see it.

and yes the longer you stare the harder it becomes to edit your own work.

Justin Procopio

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->