7 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Anyone out there using Adobe CS3 on 64 bit Windows XP? Does it work? Did you have any trouble making the switch from 32 to 64? I've got 6 GB of RAM and am finding that Windows XP 32 will only recognize/use 3.5 GB. So, to maximize the RAM I've got I'm considering switching over to xP 64. Recommendations, thoughts on this are most welcome. There's no indication on the Adobe site as to whether or not it works.

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Anyone out there using Adobe CS3 on 64 bit Windows XP? Does it work? Did you have any trouble making the switch from 32 to 64? I've got 6 GB of RAM and am finding that Windows XP 32 will only recognize/use 3.5 GB. So, to maximize the RAM I've got I'm considering switching over to xP 64. Recommendations, thoughts on this are most welcome. There's no indication on the Adobe site as to whether or not it works.

I can't speak to XP64 directly but I've been running Vista 64-bit since late February without any difficulties. I'm typically running MAPublisher 7.x in Illustrator CS3 without any noticeable problems.

One of our developers has been running XP64 a little over a year & a half. He's in charge of Geographic Imager, so he's mostly running Photoshop CS3 but he's also the guy who wrote the import engine for MAPublisher so he periodically jumps over to Illustrator CS3. I just asked him and he's had no problems that he can remember.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Beware that CS3 is not 64-bit itself. That means it can only address, at most 4GB of RAM. However, you can have multiple 32-bit apps open in a 64-bit OS and each will get it's own chunk of RAM.

From what I've heard, you probably want to skip XP64 and go with Vista 64-bit. Many hardware vendors didn't bother developing XP64 drivers and focused on Vista 64-bit. And I don't think 32-bit XP drivers work particularly well on 64-bit XP. While 32-bit XP is still, in most ways, superior to 32-bit Vista, the 64-bit Vista is much better supported than 64-bit XP. I believe in order to ge the "Vista Ready" stamp of approval from Microsoft, an app has to run correctly on both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista. There was never any such requirement for 64-bit XP.

To add to that, I've been running 32-bit Vista at home since January. I regularly use ArcGIS 9.2, CS3, Office, etc. (at the same time, usually) and after getting Vista "calmed down", it's been very stable. By "calmed down", I mean I turned off the Aero interface, turned off the User Access Control, and adjusted most of the UI settings to match XP. I do have to run a batch script to launch the license manager for ArcGIS every time I need it - but I share a license dongle between my desktop and my laptop - so even on my XP laptop I have to manually start the license server.

-Eric

I can't speak to XP64 directly but I've been running Vista 64-bit since late February without any difficulties. I'm typically running MAPublisher 7.x in Illustrator CS3 without any noticeable problems.

One of our developers has been running XP64 a little over a year & a half. He's in charge of Geographic Imager, so he's mostly running Photoshop CS3 but he's also the guy who wrote the import engine for MAPublisher so he periodically jumps over to Illustrator CS3. I just asked him and he's had no problems that he can remember.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I went with XP 64 on my new machine and had problems so decided to go back to 32. Included were:
  • Lack of 64bit drivers for printers. Prob getting better now and there were usually drivers for other printers that worked but this was still a contributing factor.
  • Postscript fonts didn't work in most Adobe Apps (Illy, Indesign, Photoshop) if activated by the OS. You could put them in the Adobe/Fonts folder but then the rest of the system can't see them. Didn't even attemt to install them in both locations as I figured that would be asking fro trouble. Not sure about Postscript flavoured Opentype fonts. We use a lot of PS fonts as that is all Microstation w/ CADscript supports I believe. This was a known bug.
  • Maplex doesn't run under XP64.
  • There were also other issues on another machine in our data deliveries area—he uses FME and smallworld a lot so maybe there were issues there can find out if you decide you want info on that?
Some of thes emay have been addressed by now and they were all able to be worked around but decided it wasn't worth the hassle for my use—the extra memory would have been nice but the installing fonts twice, going into a virtual machine to run Maplex etc is more hassle than it's worth IMO.

Also worthy of noting while most of CS3 works in XP64 I don't think Adobe doesn't offically support 64 bit Windows with CS3 so there could be more issues that pop up. Saw somewhere recently Adobe plans for 64bit migration but can't find the link now.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Also worthy of noting while most of CS3 works in XP64 I don't think Adobe doesn't offically support 64 bit Windows with CS3 so there could be more issues that pop up. Saw somewhere recently Adobe plans for 64bit migration but can't find the link now.

I was just at an Adobe-hosted conference a couple of weeks ago and I spent a few hours talking with one of the senior engineers on Illustrator. He told me that while they don't officially support 64-bit, they do test against it (Vista 64-bit for sure & I think XP-64 but I can't swear to it) and that they have no known 64-bit-only bugs outstanding.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Jon Morris

Jon Morris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

I went with XP 64 on my new machine and had problems so decided to go back to 32. Included were:

[...]

[*]Maplex doesn't run under XP64.

We're not aware of any problems running Maplex on 64-bit systems (XP or Vista). If something's not working, could you contact Tech Support, so we can fix it?

Thanks.

Jon Morris
ESRI
Jon Morris
ESRI
Product Engineer

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Unit Seven - your comments are what I've been feeling - too many unknown variables at this point to switch over, especially other software compatibility issues. Thanks again all.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

We're not aware of any problems running Maplex on 64-bit systems (XP or Vista). If something's not working, could you contact Tech Support, so we can fix it?

Thanks Jon—sorry guys looks like I may have been spread false info and am no longer on 64 so can't check and not much point in me logging it.

I was pretty sure I had come accross documentation at the time but it was prob a year ago now.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->