• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

I was wondering how often others get frustrated when trying to categorize cartography in a job field. I have run into this problem when registering software, looking for jobs on Monster.com, etc.

I usually choose Graphic Design rather than Environmental Researcher or IST or any other job field that could be related to cartography. What do others choose if cartography or GIS isn't an option?

-Erin

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I was wondering how often others get frustrated when trying to categorize cartography in a job field. I have run into this problem when registering software, looking for jobs on Monster.com, etc.

I usually choose Graphic Design rather than Environmental Researcher or IST or any other job field that could be related to cartography. What do others choose if cartography or GIS isn't an option?

-Erin

It's tough one, but in cases where cartography or GIS aren't an option, I go for graphic design (although my personal 'range of work' is broader than just map design)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

It happens on freelance sites such as elance where you could find mapping jobs in several different categories. (which can be costly) But really think about it? What field does cartography not cover? 1. Environmental science, they need us especially now & in the future; 2. custom map making, graphic design; 3. political science, no doubt, & on it goes. But hey I agree with you it would be nice to just have a specific category for cartographers.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

-Erin

It's tough one, but in cases where cartography or GIS aren't an option, I go for graphic design (although my personal 'range of work' is broader than just map design)

If your freelancing specifically in the GIS category your better off with listing yourself in the web & programming category.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

Thanks for the responses! I agree that we really do fall in several categories, so I suppose if I had to choose I'd pick graphic design, but on freelance sites it is worth just searching all over for cartography opportunities, as we are jacks (and jills) of all trades!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->