8 replies to this topic

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

I'm curious about what anyone/everyone is using to track time, tasks, and materials for cartographic jobs. Here, we have an old antiquated DOS-based program that is not doing it for us anymore. We'd like to spend as little time devising/hunting for a new system. There must be some canned program(s) out there that are working for you. What are they?

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I'm curious about what anyone/everyone is using to track time, tasks, and materials for cartographic jobs. Here, we have an old antiquated DOS-based program that is not doing it for us anymore. We'd like to spend as little time devising/hunting for a new system. There must be some canned program(s) out there that are working for you. What are they?

I use FreshBooks for time tracking, invoicing, expenses, and sometimes estimates. I have been very happy with the service!

The best part are automatic payment reminders to clients after 30 days!

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Openproj & within Adobe Life Cycle there is a timesheet that you can use. Creating an excel spread sheet works too.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Neil,

I use a little piece of software called TraxTime

http://www.spudcity....me/traxtime.htm
Chart

JwB

JwB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:geography, cartography, gis, graphic design
  • United States

I was doing some research on Adobe products yesterday and went down a rabbit trail into the Flex and AIR worlds. I came across some Flex demo apps. One on Time Accounting caught my eye as I too have been challenged in this area.

There's a nice little, free desktop app (widget) called TimeLoc created by rad3 found at this site http://www.rad3.com/...oc/default.html

I'm not experienced with AIR built apps so I was apprehensive about security/privacy on the install but I took the risk.

This seems exactly what I was looking for - a simple punch-in/punch-out clock with some reporting. You can also export data to CSV. After one day, ;) I like it. Now of course there's the discipline to use it!

BTW: Here's the Flex showcase site. http://flex.org/showcase/
I liked the BreakingNewsMap app and the MapMyPix app (now called TripPix at UniversalMind website - their GIS stuff is impressive.) There are a number of map/gis related applications in the showcase. Sorry if this leads any of you on rabbit trails and bad time management! If you're an ArcServer developer, bill it to Flex research.

John (first time post for me)

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Clicktime: http://www.clicktime.com/ works very well.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

DonnaG

DonnaG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

Hi Neil,

QuickBooks has an option for time tracking.
There is also a product called TimeSlice http://timeslice.us/ [full disclosure: my sister is one of the programmers]

You might want to make sure the time tracking data goes into your billing system easily.

Donna Genzmer

Melissa Evans

Melissa Evans

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Give Talygen a try. You will like it. Easy to operate, consists of different user modules and reporting is in best format.

Grace.bjorn

Grace.bjorn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • India

Hi Neil,

Try Replicon's online timecard software, compared to the other time tracking software, I personally feel this software to be the best. I have been using this software for a long time and I no longer worry about maintaining invoice or any other task, as this software serves a single final report with all the information required.

Thanks!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->