Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Why should he include a legend? Is there any symbol on the map whose meaning is not obvious?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I wanted to make this a bit more visible as a new post...

Thank you all so much for your responses. I've tried to consider everyone's suggestions so if I missed something and you still fell strongly about it let me know.

Major changes include:

Cleaning up labels (point out any specific ones I could improve!)
Adding minor roads
Adding graticule lines and matching the border to them
adding Intro paragraph and a key

My main concerns right now are layout, and should I keep Old Bourbon County... on the map and/or the locater?

Thanks again!

I also posted something in the introductions section of the forum if you'd like to read that too.

Justin Procopio

Attached Files

---------------------------------
Justin Procopio

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I wanted to make this a bit more visible as a new post...

And I merged it back in. I understand you want visibility, but the whole discussion makes a lot more sense if it's contained in a single thread. It'll be easier for the reader to see what you've changed.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Why should he include a legend? Is there any symbol on the map whose meaning is not obvious?

I had originally figured the same thing about the key, but a few people suggested one. I'll probably end up taking it off.

thanks,
Justin

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Wow Justin, lots of suggestions. Little overwhelmed?

You've got a good map and the reason folks are chiming in so intensely is for one reason: for the love of bourbon. Living in Kentucky myself and having just returned from a wedding on a ky goat farm where Woodford Reserve was the only spirit served, bourbon is blood. So you hit a nerve.

In addition to what other people have recommend, here are my suggestions:

1. Don't forget a legend...that could help explain your intent.

2. Perhaps you could shrink your county names and space out the lettering. Old Bourbon County has no distilleries, why include it?

3. I agree with you that streams need to be preserved. Bourbon is made in Kentucky because of its water and rock. Some streams are more important than others, so they should be indicated with labels and thicker stroke. Lesser streams maybe not so much.

4. In my opinion, if you're showing modern roads, you should use symbols more modern than you have.

The antique feeling of your map is great, and if you tighten the labeling and chisel out your symbols more, you'll have a sweet map... now I'm off to uncork my cache of sweet mellow brown.

cheers!

Glad to hear from a real Kentuckian on this! Thanks for the feedback, I just uploaded a new map proof. I wasn't sure if you and some others really meant a LEGEND (intro paragraph) or a KEY so I have added both.

Justin

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

found something...
RIVER in salt river must have been nudged in the wrong direction.

Justin

Justin Procopio

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

The map looks much better! A few additional comments:

• Not sure if the town annotations should be angled since others on the map are not. I realize you are trying not to overlap with roads and streams, but you have other labels that overlap which are horizontal. Consider making Louisville, Elizabethtown, Lawrenceburg, Jeffersontown, Georgetown, and Nicholasville horizontal for consistency.
  • Seems some of your stream labeling touches the stream lines, while others are a off the line quite a bit.
  • Places where streams are considered county lines look a bit messy with the political boundary AND the stream representing the county boundary. May want to delete the political boundary to clean it up a bit.
  • Your longitude line in Harrison County doesn't line up when crossing the "HARRISON" text.
  • Your inset map may want to include the units on the scale bar (assuming it is miles).

Thanks,
Michael.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Boyd

Boyd

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:GPS Trail Guides
  • United States

I think legends or keys are good regardless of how simple the map is. Stating the obvious doesn't hurt, but I think selecting the symbols to index should play to the map's theme, maybe historic in this case.

The lastest version of this map is awesome. And thanks for letting us watch you refine your map in near real-time. BioGioMan found some other good updates, especially where streams and political boundaries overlap. I don't mind the off-axis text.

Boyd

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Nice improvements with the hierarchy in this latest version. The distilleries stand out much better. I like your font choices too.

However, the first thing my eye is drawn to is still the border. Historical or not, it feels really heavy.

Also, may I suggest a more consistent placement of the years in the distiller labels? Right now they seemed to be placed so that they don't overlap any other features. Because there is no consistency here and this is the main focus of the map, somehow the dates feel like they dangle and set things off-balance.

I agree with Dennis; why include a legend? If 3/5 of the legend is describing varying levels of city size but the map is about distilleries it might not be necessary. If you are worried about your readers confusing cities for distilleries maybe you could choose a different symbol to represent distilleries (i.e. a red square instead of red circle?)

Finally, maybe tighten up the writing in the subtitle a little. Use more active/descriptive verbs than "has to be" or "gets its."

Critiques aside, I think you are working on a cool map and I've enjoyed watching it get better!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Highways and streams are looking better. I would prefer having the highway numbers in traditional shields straddling the highway lines. I don't understand the angling of names such as Louisville, and all the county names.

I agree that the border is way too dominant, and why even include lat-long at all? That's appropriate for sea charts, not land maps of this variety. Same for the overelaborate scale. It's perfectly obvious what the various dots and squares represent, making the legend seem like it was included by a plodding supervisor going down his checklist.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Hi Justin,

Contextually, I think you've done a great job. I might find some of the lettering a little tough to read if I've had a few bourbons though. ;)

I too, would reduce the weighting of the border graphic. Maybe it's my monitor, but I find the "parchment" texture a little overwhelming and dark. I'd also go for a different north arrow - one that doesn't have the "out of the box" ESRI feel to it - something that would compliment your well-chosen fonts.

How about including a graphic of an old faded bourbon label?

Nice work.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

coming into this late, but the map looks cool! Here's a couple of things that I noticed:

- it may be just jpg compression, my screen or my eyes or some of each, but I'm seeing two different shades of blue in the waterway labels. Compare Grassy Creek to Fork Lick Creek below it in the north-east corner of the map, or the southern Kentucky River label, where "Kentucky" looks to me to be lighter than "River". Again, maybe just my eyes...

- Both I-75 labels have extra spaces around the dash that the other interstate labels do not

- I will second the above point on the river-as-county-boundary issue. Looks like the county data was of a lower spatial resolution and such lines would typically follow the river centerlines rather than skip from river bank to opposite river bank.

- The yellow line for your roads all appear to be the same width, with the interstates having a thicker casing. Consider making the casing the same relative width for all the roads and increasing the thickness of the yellow line within.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Justin Procopio

Justin Procopio

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Again, the feedback has been great! Thanks.

Latest update:

I'm starting to go back and check the list of distilleries with some new sources... so a few of them have changed. For this version of the map I've made several design changes including my attempt to fix the county/river problem and tone the border way down. I'm actually a bit concerned after printing it out on a plain piece of paper that I may have lightened some of the features too much, but I think it might look better on a larger poster size map.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files

Justin Procopio

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Again, the feedback has been great! Thanks.

Latest update:

I'm starting to go back and check the list of distilleries with some new sources... so a few of them have changed. For this version of the map I've made several design changes including my attempt to fix the county/river problem and tone the border way down. I'm actually a bit concerned after printing it out on a plain piece of paper that I may have lightened some of the features too much, but I think it might look better on a larger poster size map.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Hi Justin,

It took awhile but I think I read through the entire post. And when I compare your first map to your latest, there is a lot of improvement. Mainly, the first thing I notice now are the distilleries! Which is, of course, what you wanted, right? Some thoughts:
- do you need the county labels? I might have missed this in an earlier post but all those county labels do make the map a bit busy. Come to think of it do you need the county boundaries at all?
- I have to agree about the angled town labels, they are a bit disconcerting, I understand your need for label clarity but maybe you can keep them horizontal and smudge the background so that the town name is still clear?
- I love the new north arrow and your font choices

Great map Justin, just as it is - I'm being nit-picky because I'm not as creative!
;)
Esther
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->