5 replies to this topic

oldo.nicho

oldo.nicho

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Hi there,

I am about to set off on a six month trip, sailing from Chile back to Australia. I am a keen surfer and there will be plenty of setups along the way that I would like to map and document so that I may one day come back and surf some of the places.

I have no skills in cartography and was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a good starting point, be it a book or internet site, that is good for learning mapping skills.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Oliver.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Hey Oliver,

A Good start would probably be a book like "Making Maps" by Krygier and Wood, but there are numerous other books out there as well.

Another good start would be to read the forums here at CartoTalk. You'll find numerous info on software, books, techniques, and design.

For you trip though I would not only record the coordinates of each setup/break with a GPS, but also other data about each location, such as: wave height, beach condition, undertow, etc. That way when you get back you can create a GIS (Geographic Information System) database that is attached to your map.

Have fun, and Welcome to CartoTalk :D
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

oldo.nicho

oldo.nicho

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Ok, thanks, I will check that book out.

:)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Oliver - one important distinction that you might not be aware of - cartography is primarily the art/science of presentation (print, web etc) of the geographical information. To me it sounds like you are also interested in the (very much related) noble art/science of surveying - as in measuring and locating physical phenomena.

For you - maybe you could let google earth/maps take care of the presentation, if you use a gps and take notes?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Further to frax's excellent post, you may want to look at "remote sensing" data (satellite and aerial photography and imaging) as a supplement to what's available via google. You'll be passing through a variety of jurisdictions on your trip, and each of them (in addition to international sources) have some sort of mapping and/or remote sensing imagery available. These may help you get a base on which to take notes.

You also my want to look for the best available maps and charts for the areas you want to describe. National surveys are the usual source for topographic maps, and nautical charts are generally produced by national hydrographic offices (see the International Hydrographic Organization website for a list of member chart-making nations. Map Link and Omni Resources are excellent sources in the US for obscure topographic map series.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Rather than an outdoors GPS - maybe you would be interested in one for marine use - with nautical charts and data available for it - which would probably be a separate purchase.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->