• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I have been given an invtitation to make a bid on a low budget contract to show fatility rates & the number of trauma centres within the state of Georgia. Here's the basic detail:

"I need 2 maps created using ArcGIS. Ultimately, I'll need the 1) the file(s) containing the data and ultimately the maps and 2) a PDF of the created maps (each in its own PDF file) emailed to me. "

I need somesort of methodolgy and/or conversion program which will display this data properly. The client submitted today & will reward it tomorrow.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

.map to .mxd:

Forget it, not going to happen. Both are proprietary formats.

Ask him if he *really* needs the mxd's, or whether shapefiles with the data would do as well. If the mxd thing is a very hard requirement, then you really need ArcGIS/ArcMap to do this project.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Have they told you specifically that they want the MXD? The comment, "the files containing the data" could mean any number of things (spreadsheets, .shp, MXD). I'd still put a together a nice comp and send them something along with a data sample if it's something you want to do. If nothing else it's a chance to show a potential client that you're interested and willing to work hard. And If they like what they see, they might be more flexible in their requirements.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Only two of us made a bid & the client chose a winner, lets just say my losing streak continues. So don't worry about it.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Only two of us made a bid & the client chose a winner, lets just say my losing streak continues. So don't worry about it.

Was the winner from India?
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Canada

Was the winner from India?

No he was an American who bid $250.00 compare to my $300.00. This guy who won, know his name but will not mention it also has 10 years experience, I'm entry level so the choice was clear. BTW please refer to your PM for an important announcement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->