• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

I guess I should post some of my own work. I mentioned in one of my other posts that I am a landscape architect by training. My interest in cartography stems from my interests in wayfinding plus my interest in creating better landscape architecture graphics. Landscape architecture projects whether they be designs for the creation of a new city park, a set of hiking trails, the re-design of a streetscape, the restoration of a waterfront, or the masterplan for a ski hill, all have one thing in common: we have to convey a lot of important information to a large variety of people from a large variety of backgrounds. I realized early on that axonomentric projections ( or pseudo-perspective) are just easier for people to "read".

A couple of years ago some classmates and I entered a competition for th re-design of the New York City Highline ( a 50km elevated 1930s industrial railtrack running through Manhatten). The design brief called for the use of the Highline as greenspace. Considering its length, we felt it would be more appropriate to "divide" the use of the Highline according to the communities it passed through. One section passed through the market area of Manhatten, so we designated this use as market space, one space passed between several 2 and 3-storey retail buildings, so we designated this as an elevated 'street' providing access to these retail spaces from a second level, and the third area we designated as 'park' space as it runs adjacent to the Hudson River Park system, and therefore could be used as an elevated viewing platform or extension to the existing park. Anyhow, this explanation will just make this easier to "read". The challenging thing with competitions is always the requirement to fit all of your information in a limited amount of space. In this instance it was to fit the re-design of a 50km rail track onto two 24" x 36" (60cmx90cm) panels. I decided that axos tied to a main map would be the way to go, and the following was our final competition entry. I did all of the computer work including the main map and axos to scale in Vectorworks and Illustrator, and my classmates did the illustrations by hand. This certainly isn't my best work as it was done in haste, and I have since increased my Illustrator skills, but I am curious if you think this system works to convey the information effectively enough.

Cheers,

Gillian

Panel 01 PDF

Panel 02 PDF

Attached File  highline.jpg   54.61KB   208 downloads
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Gillian,

You should post a larger image or a link to a large image as it is hard to see much of the details of what looks like a nice info-graphic piece.

mg

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Yes, yes. A larger image would be great. I am very interested in seeing the details.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

OK, I posted the links to the PDFs with the original post.

Cheers,

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->