• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

A story you might find amusing.

Recently, a friend of mine who runs a small private high school asked me to come give a talk about the career of making maps

I gave the talk today.

This high school is a special one. A last chance place for problem kids and delinquents that get kicked out of every other school.

The audience, my friend warned me, would be a tough one. A rather jaded bunch with microscopic internet-generation attention span. What I needed to do, he said, was to immediately grab their attention, if I could, and then work in stuff about maps.

So I told my friend (he’s the principal) to ask me right at the start how I got into mapping.
and when he did, I answered:
Well, strangely enough, I answered, there are 3 things that got me into drawing maps and those are Nazis, pedophiles and the Occult!

I got their attention. (And his too!) And it is actually true though a little slanted for effect

As I distributed my maps to the students, I went on to explain how my first commercial map was a cartoon-style map showing the location 8 bookstores that dabbled in the black arts. (This was the subject of a previous post)

Why I came to mapping with an illustrative cartoon style was due to my own high-school experience. I was part of the last generation who went through the old Quebec system run by priests. It was known to everybody back then including our parents that as boys we had to be wary of some (though by no means all) of the priests who looked upon us… well, you know, with a particular glint in their eyes. Back then, the subject was far more an object of jokes and ridicule rather than scandal and trauma.
During those years I drew and distributed a kind of underground samizdat comic book series making fun of our teachers. By far the most notorious and popular one was one called Superqueer which made fun of one particular priest who knocked out evil-doers with his B.O. That’s how I got my start as an illustrator.

How I came to draw and be interested in maps was from an earlier time. As a kid, I was obsessed with World War II and very fascinated by swastikas. At age 10 or 11, I just loved to trace maps of Europe circa 1938-1942, that showed expanding swastikas covering more and more territory. It wasn’t political; I just thought it was cool to see this striking graphic shape swallowing up countries. That's how I got started with maps and graphics.

The talk went really well and was great fun. I thought I would share with my fellow cartographers here, this strange realization that yes, in a way, Nazis, pedophiles and the occult were part of the string of events that led to the maps I draw now!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Now you caught my attention too!

(with those keywords, I bet this post will get a lot of traffic from google...)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I predict an 'interesting' influx of new members...

Regarding your 'nazi' imagery, do you know the title sequence of the English comedy show "Dad's Army"?

Anyway, let's see if we can keep this thread from invoking Godwin's Law... ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Canada

Well, you're intro worked on me too. Very interesting! I was always fascinated by World War 2 when I was a kid (my parents lived under the Occupation in the Netherlands when they were young teens) and would spend hours looking at the maps and studying the movements of troops. I wonder how many other here had the same experience?

And Hans - where do you find these things?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Well, you're intro worked on me too. Very interesting! I was always fascinated by World War 2 when I was a kid (my parents lived under the Occupation in the Netherlands when they were young teens) and would spend hours looking at the maps and studying the movements of troops. I wonder how many other here had the same experience?

And Hans - where do you find these things?

"Dad's Army" was a long-running and rather popular English comedy series from the 70s. It was about a Home Guard platoon, but more on the personalities (and personality clashes) than the actual war or invasion threat. It's been rerun countless times over here.

Another great one is "Allo Allo", about a French village during WW2 and horrendously complicated plots from both the resistance ("Listen very carefully, I will say this only once"), the German army and the Gestapo (excellent character there, one of the best villains ever: Herr Flick) to get the simplest things (smuggling 2 downed British airmen back to England, hiding a valuable painting from the other parties involved etc)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

brentpalmer

brentpalmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Australia

At age 10 or 11, I just loved to trace maps of Europe ... that showed expanding swastikas covering more and more territory. It wasn’t political; I just thought it was cool to see this striking graphic shape swallowing up countries.

Striking graphic? Can't argue with that. When I was a kid, I saw it spray-painted on a building at the local high school. Being eight years old, in a New Zealand country town in 1982, I'd never seen that symbol before and had no idea of its connotations. I was just fascinated by the look of it, prompting me incorporate it into some drawings I did as part of my schoolwork. The teacher hauled me over the coals, but I had no idea of what I'd done wrong. Upon arriving home from the school-day, my mother explained what the synbol meant, and I felt rather ashamed and embarrased.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

T'is a pity that this great graphic is now off-limits as indeed is all of Nazi regalia -the definite statement in military chic. Not the first time bad ethics ruined some great aesthetics.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->