19 replies to this topic

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • United Kingdom

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ET GeoWizards, redefining and ordering fields in a shapefile is part of the Basic functionality freely available.

I can't recommend this suite of tools enough, it has saved me many hours of work on countless occasions.

Dave

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ET GeoWizards, redefining and ordering fields in a shapefile is part of the Basic functionality freely available.

I can't recommend this suite of tools enough, it has saved me many hours of work on countless occasions.

Dave

I had ET GeoTools, but I didn't know that they had a Wizard ;) It works very well! We have to create a copy of our file, but it's no big deal!

It was easier with Excel (we had 2003 too at work), but then, the Metadata didn't follow the change (I didn't mentionned it because I didn't know it at the beginning of the week, but we have to create and update the complete metadata for each file so...)

Thanks again folks for your help! (but a thread this long about something as simple - in appearance - as changing a field name is an indicator that it's more than time to include such feature in Arc... ;) )

Fusi Gabs

Fusi Gabs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi!

Does anyone knows how to reorder and rename fields of shapefiles in Arc? We have clients that have really strict specifications and we need to do that for them without, if possible, having to create new files everytime.

Thanks!

Hello Francois
If i understand ur question then these are my suggestions.
1. To reorder a field in the attribute table, highlight the entire field (column), click on the heading and drag it to the position u want it to be.
2. To rename, u can right-click on the field title, go to properties and in the 'alias' field, type the name u want to display.

Hope this helps.

Gabs.
Geospatial tech.

krisschmidt

krisschmidt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Hi!

Does anyone knows how to reorder and rename fields of shapefiles in Arc? We have clients that have really strict specifications and we need to do that for them without, if possible, having to create new files everytime.

Thanks!

Use the Merge Tool (Data Management Tools -> General) from ArcCatalog. Drag and drop your shapefile, and re-name / re-order in the field map. Then delete your original shapelfile, and rename the _merge file.

graveldraw

graveldraw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

You can also do this using python. There is a python module to read/write .dbf files. A simple python script reads the .dbf file, renames and reorders columns, then writes the file back out. Using this method you can also add related data from another file. If you are interested in this method I can post an example, or send me an example of your .dbf, and I'll write a script for your .dbf.

Dan graveldraw@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->