5 replies to this topic

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

This is the first map i made. Ive got no training, I even bought and read 'Illustator for Dummys' because i couldnt make heads or tails of the trial program as it was originally made for Mac.
It was very frustrating trying to get what i envisioned onto the page but I am fairly happy with the results. I probably broke some 'rules' in cartography but what better way to learn.
Its some property my father has that i made the map for, just as a novelty.
Love to hear the critic, trust me, i'm happy with it but know there is alot of improvement for my next map. I really struggled with the colours.
kinda crazy i do this for a hobby but if i enjoy it, so no harm done.

Posted Image

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'd say you're off to a good start.

• I'd give the TCH a heavier line weight than the other roads. Or you might make it red and other roads gray or brown.
  • The stroke at water's edge is a bit heavy. In fact, with colors these saturated, you don't need a stroke around the water at all.
  • The typography is a bit over the top.
  • I'd label Ontario in the inset map, and maybe add Toronto and Thunder Bay.
  • I'd differentiate the provincial park as a different color green.
  • Could use a scale bar, though the cross-water distances serve that purpose also.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

ahh yes, I highly agree with all those.
I was more worried about the colors and overlooked those items that would make it alot more informative.
transcanada definately should be heavier. big oops

thanks for the tips. I do appreciate it.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The best way to learn cartography is to get training from a cartographer, in your case I would apply for Sir Flemand College or if you prefer a world class education the Centre of Geograpic Sciences. You already have an edge just by posting here.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

While I agree with the previous comments (especially using Papyrus), I think this is a great first map. Congrats, and keep on posting. :D

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Well I admire your shutzpa in reading "Illustrator for Dummies' and posting the 1st map on a cartography forum for review :P
Whatever struggles you made with learning the drawing program, 'struggling' with colors and design should be chalked up to sweat equity.

You may google for a similar existing map that you admire, print it out and study it - find out why the map elements work, what map features are more prominent and why,
and why only certain features are included and others not included.

At first glance my eye is drawn to the yellow inset / locator map. I expect this is unintentional. Fonts, while you did choose an elegant font, you may find that a more 'standard' typeface is more readable.
Draw only the major hwys and enlarge the highway symbols.

Above all, mute the entire map and highlight the properties - maybe use an icon for these?

Keep at it. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->