I am excited to announce that CartoTalk will begin producing a Cartographic Design Annual book. This will be a compilation of the best designed maps from each year, similar to the Communication Arts Photography or Illustration Annuals, ESRI's annual map book, and many others. The book will be full-color, bookstore quality printing, and available for purchase to anyone. This will be an excellent way to impress clients, bosses, friends, and family. The book will be promoted outside of CartoTalk in other design media so it will be a useful promotion tool for you or your business. A limited number of copies may be given to selected journalists as well.
The 2007 annual will be published in June of this year, but starting with the 2008 version it will be published in the beginning of the year. There will not be any special categories, and the only real requirement will be that the map was completed in calendar year 2007. While this is not technically a competition or an award, we will most likely not have room for all submissions, so maps will be chosen based on their design merits - aesthetic design and clarity of communication.
You may submit as many maps as you would like, but each map should be submitted separately.
- Submission deadline is May
- Maps must have been completed or published during 2007.
- You must own the copyrights to the map or submit permission from the copyright holder.
- Submissions MUST be in PDF form. Maps created for screen or web display MUST be submitted at native resolution as a 24-bit PNG.
- For file submissions under 10MB send in an email to annual(at)cartotalk.com
- For file submissions over 10MB send a DOWNLOAD link to annual(at)cartotalk.com
- Submissions MUST include the following information:
- Map title
- Name(s) of map creator(s)
- Company name (if applicable)
- Software used
- Data sources (optional)
- Copyright attribution to be displayed
- Web URL to be displayed for contact purposes
Please note: the copyrights for all submissions remain with the creators and submitted files will not be reused for any other purpose by the book publisher, Cartotalk, or its agents.